The New Teacher Induction (NTI) Program
The primary goal of the New Teacher Induction Program is to support and retain novice and experienced new-to-MCPS educators through a comprehensive induction system that improves instructional practice and supports student achievement.
The secondary goal of the program is to develop the leadership capacity of new-to-MCPS educators, mentors, and other critical personnel.
The Mentor Program
MCPS has a strong mentor program that supports new educators in their first three years with MCPS.
- At the beginning of each school year, principals and supervisors are sent a memo outlining the mentor program for the year.
- Principals and supervisors should refer to the memo's Selection Checklist and Expectations as they identify potential mentors.
- Please note: New teachers with Consulting Teachers are not eligible for mentors unless a special exemption has been granted by NTI.
- Once the selection process is complete, a mentor Verification form should be returned to NTI.
- Mentors will receive an email containing the program details and Criteria and Duties after they have been verified and given a mentor tab.
- Mentors are expected to document their work through online mentor logs and should refer to the PDO Guide to Online Mentor Logs for more information.
- Mentors are expected to be trained--Training Opportunities are available for new mentors.
- Mentors can receive payment for their services and should refer to the Stipend FAQs for more information.