Student Service Learning
Highlighting Student Service
Shayne Carver from Quince Orchard High School
Celebrate Earth Month with Service
Find SSL Approved Opportunities:
Visit the Montgomery County Volunteer Center Website
Link to all Pre-Approved MCPS SSL Opportunities:
indicates MCPS SSL approved.
SYSTEM-WIDE SSL AWARD TIMELINES:
- April 8, 2016: Documentation of 260 SSL hours that qualifies seniors for Certificates of Meritorious Service is due to the school-based SSL coordinator.
- April 8, 2016: Documentation of 75 SSL hours that qualifies middle school students for the Superintendent’s SSL Award is due to the school-based SSL coordinator. This award is given to students who meet the 75 hour graduation requirement during middle school. (It is only awarded once.)
SYSTEM-WIDE SSL DEADLINES:
- June 3, 2016: Documentation of all service performed during the second semester is due to the school-based SSL coordinator.
- June 3, 2016: Deadline for submission of Pre-Approval Requests (Form560-50) to school-based SSL Coordinator
SUMMER Pre-Approval Requests
Non-profit organizations that are not identified with the MCPS SSL approved medallion on the Montgomery County Volunteer Center website require pre-approval.
The MCPS Form 560-50-Individual Student Service Learning Request must be submitted and approved by the school-based SSL Coordinator in advance of service. All Pre-Approval Requests must be submitted in a timely manner. There is a two-week allowance for school-based SSL Coordinators to review the request for approval or denial based on compliance with MCPS SSL Program.
- Thomas W. Pyle Middle School for receiving the "2014-2015 School of the Year" Award.
- Francis Scott Key Middle School for receiving the 2015 State School of Character Award.
Awarded from the Maryland State Department of Education in partnership with Maryland Center for Character Education at Stevenson University.
View Press Release
For student-specific SSL questions: Contact the school-based SSL coordinator. Click here for the school coordinator list.
General questions about the MCPS SSL program? Contact Kimberly A. Brooks, coordinator, Division of Pupil Personnel Services, 301-279-3454, SSL@mcpsmd.org.