Student Service Learning (SSL)
A purple tassel on the caps of seniors at the graduation ceremony identifies them as meritorious service contributors (260 or more SSL hours).
- Thomas W. Pyle Middle School for receiving the "2014-2015 School of the Year" Award.
- Francis Scott Key Middle School for receiving the 2015 State School of Character Award.
Awarded from the Maryland State Department of Education in partnership with Maryland Center for Character Education at Stevenson University.
View Press Release
Summer SSL Pre-Approval Requests- Non-profit organizations that are not identified with the MCPS SSL approved medallion on the Montgomery County Volunteer Center website require pre-approval in order to award SSL hours. In advance of the service activity, the MCPS Form 560-50 Individual Student Service Learning Request must be submitted for review and approval. During summer break, the requests may be sent via email to SSL@mcpsmd.org or via fax at 301-517-8166. We will ensure every effort to approve requests in a timely manner but granting approval of last minute submissions is not guaranteed.
SYSTEMWIDE STUDENT DOCUMENTATION TIMELINES:
- September 25, 2015: Documentation of service performed from June 16, 2015 through the summer is due to the school-based SSL coordinator.
- January 8, 2016: Documentation of service performed during the first semester is due to the school-based SSL coordinator.
*Due to winter break the deadline has been modified*
- June 3, 2016: Documentation of all service performed during the second semester is due to the school-based SSL coordinator.
SYSTEMWIDE SSL AWARD TIMELINES:
*Due to spring break the deadline has been modified*
- TBD Spring 2016: Documentation of 260 SSL hours that qualifies seniors for Certificates of Meritorious Service is due to the school-based SSL coordinator.
- TBD Spring 2016: Documentation of 75 SSL hours that qualifies middle school students for the Superintendent’s SSL Award is due to the school-based SSL coordinator. This award is given to students who meet the 75 hour graduation requirement during middle school. (It is only awarded once.)
For student-specific SSL questions: Contact the school-based SSL coordinator. Click here for the school coordinator list.
General questions about the MCPS SSL program? Contact Kimberly A. Brooks, coordinator, Division of Pupil Personnel Services, 301-279-3454, SSL@mcpsmd.org.