MOntgomery County Public Schools Athletics
MCPS believes participation in interscholastic athletics supports the overall mission of the school district to ensure that every student will have the academic, creative problem solving, and social-emotional skills to be successful in college and career. The MCPS philosophy of interscholastic athletics is founded in our vision, mission, purpose, and R.A.I.S.E. core values, which were established in July 2017.
We promote academic achievement, athletic excellence, positive sportsmanship, and upstanding citizenship by providing the greatest education-based interscholastic athletics program.
Every student will attain the mental, moral, physical, and social-emotional skills to excel in the classroom, community, and the realm of competition.
To provide an innovative education-based interscholastic athletics program that maximizes diverse participation through a commitment to equity and access.
Core Values (R.A.I.S.E.)
Respect & Sportsmanship
Integrity & Character
Spirited & Safe Competition
Equity & Access
Athletics Safety Plan -
Please Tune into this Important Message from the Student-Athlete Leadership Council regarding the Winter Athletics Safety Plan.
Ensuring safe and spirited athletic and school events is a priority for MCPS. Promoting our R.A.I.S.E. core values and implementing additional supports will continue to be a focus to keep athletic events safe for all participants. Decisions about additional strategies will be made using an equity lens and prioritize safety, while encouraging the positive outcomes and engagement that athletic events bring to our schools and communities. An updated and enhanced version of the Athletics Safety Plan has been developed for the winter 2023-2024 season, and is available here.
Media Protocols for MCPS Regular Season Athletic Events
Media credentialing ensures a safe environment for members of the press covering MCPS athletic events and are essential for easy identification and knowing who may be in our athletic facilities. As such, new protocols governing media coverage of MCPS athletic events went into effect on April 1, 2023.
Who Needs to Present Athletic Event Media Credentials
All media, multimedia, journalists, reporters, bloggers, vloggers, social media channels, athletic promoters or individuals, or companies seeking access to an MCPS event for the purposes of recording, photography, videography, reporting, etc., must have applied for and received an official MCPS Athletic Event Credential. Each individual must present (and wear) this badge and lanyard while working at an MCPS athletic event.
Notification of Intent to Cover an Event
Credentialed individuals must also inform high school athletics specialists of their intention to attend an event by email. Email contacts for local school athletics specialists can be found here.
Purchase Tickets Here
Parents/guardians, students, fans, and community members will have the ability to stream events live through the NFHS Network. Automated cameras have been installed in all main gymnasiums and stadiums. A monthly subscription fee of $10.99 is required to view live events. All MCPS events are free on the NFHS Network, 72 hours following each event.
Parent/guardians can register their student-athletes for the 2023-24 athletic seasons using ParentVue. High school registration opens at 12:00 noon on the following dates:
- Fall - July 15, 2024
- Winter - October 14, 2024
- Spring - January 27, 2025
Information regarding middle school athletics registration can be found here. Below are some helpful resources to assist parents/guardians with the on-line registration process prior to the first day of tryouts:
- Athletic Registration Video - A quick video for parents/guardians on how to register their students in athletics.
- ParentVue Guide - A "Quick Guide to ParentVue for Athletics" in English for parents/guardians when registering their students for athletics.
- ParentVue Guide - A "Quick Guide to ParentVue for Athletics" in Spanish for parents/guardians when registering their students for athletics.
- ParentVue Guide - A "How to Guide" for parents/guardians for Getting Started with ParentVUE.pdf
- Care for Kids - A health care program that provides access to health care services for uninsured children in Montgomery County.
- Clinics for Sports Physicals - an annual list released by MCPS Athletics, pricing is subject to change
- Coaching Vacancies by School
- Heat Index
- Health and Safety PowerPoint
- High School Schedules
- Middle School Athletics
- On-line Registration for Athletics
- Registro en Linea para Atletismo
- Promoting a Positive Culture
- R.A.I.S.E. Report Athletics Newsletter
- Sports Insight
- Student-Athlete Leadership Council (SALC)
- Ticket and Event Information