Flights to Fitness
Stair Climbing Challenge
What is Flights to Fitness?
Flights to Fitness (F2F) is a program designed to encourage physical activity among Montgomery County Public Schools’ employees through stair climbing. The goal of the program is for participants to climb the equivalent flights of stairs in some of the tallest buildings in the United States of America. By the end of F2F, participants will have climbed a minimum of 765 flights of stairs.
F2F is designed to accomplish two goals:
- To encourage the switch from using the elevator to taking the stairs
- To establish an alternative exercise program to boost physical activity during the cold months
F2F is a simple way to increase physical activity. Stair climbing is accessible and convenient, and participants can climb at their own pace, at any time. Exercise does not have to be another item on your to-do list. The program can easily fit into your workday and makes it easy to add physical activity to your busy schedule. Log your activity from January 1, 2018 - March 2, 2018 into the Well Aware Fitness log for an opportunity to win a Zumba/Yoga classes at your location.
To get started, begin using the stairs instead of the elevator. Click on the links below for building descriptions that include charts to help you keep track of the flights you climb. Post the first building sheet at your desk or another convenient location and check the flights of stairs as you complete them. Be sure to only count the flights that you travel up, not down. When you finish a building, start climbing the next one. When you finish the 10 buildings provided, search for others and continue your stair-climbing experience. Not sure that you can climb the buildings alone? Recruit a climbing buddy and split the flights for a more manageable experience.
- Bank of America Building (55 flights of stairs)
- US Steel Tower (64 flights of stairs)
- Williams Tower (64 flights of stairs)
- Bank of America Plaza (72 flights of stairs)
- US Bank Tower (73 flights of stairs)
- Tower of Americas (75 flights of stairs)
- Columbia Center (76 flights of stairs)
- Aon Building (83 flights of stairs)
- John Hancock Building (100 flights of stairs)
- Empire State Building (103 flights of stairs)