Student Transfers
(Change of School Assignment)

2014-2015 School Year

How are Students Assigned to Their Home School?

Students in Montgomery County are assigned to public schools based on their place of residence or in accordance with an Individualized Education Program (IEP). Students are expected to attend their assigned school. Paired schools are considered as one school for school assignment purposes. To attend a different school, the student must document a unique hardship or fall within one of the exemptions listed below.

To determine what the local school is for a specific address, call the School Boundary Information Line at 240-314-4710 between 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. weekdays.

Why is a Student Allowed to Transfer to Another School?

A. Documented, unique hardship  

B. Exemptions  

  • Sibling: Older sibling attends requested school in the regular program absent a boundary change.
  • Continuation: Elementary school students return to their home middle schools unless a COSA form is submitted and approved based on unique hardship or one of the stated exemptions. Middle school students on an approved COSA may continue to that school’s feeder pattern high school, except when affected by boundary change, application program acceptance, or consortium choice guidelines, but a new COSA form must be submitted.
  • Exempt Programs: Student selected for an exempt program.
  • Family Relocation: When a family moves within Montgomery County, preference to remain in the original school will be considered to complete the current school year only.

Please note that by accepting a change of school assignment, the parent or guardian accepts responsibility to provide transportation.  

How to Request a Transfer to Another School

The transfer process begins in the home school, where parents may request an assignment change form and the Change of School Assignment Information Booklet that describes the process and provides useful information.

Assignment change forms and the information booklets will be available in schools beginning the first week of February. Special programs that do not fall under the transfer guidelines are listed in the information booklet. Every effort will be made to notify parents of the assignment decision in May. Special education COSA requests for students receiving 15 or more hours of special education services will be decided after July 1.

When Can a Student Request a Transfer?

Montgomery County parents who wish to request a change in school assignment for their children from their home school may begin the process during transfer season, which is held from February 3 through April 1. 

Downcounty, Northeast, And Middle School Magnet Consortia Students

For information about the Northeast Consortium, Downcounty Consortium or Middle School Magnet Consortium, contact the Division of Consortia Choice and Application Program Services (DCCAPS):

Click here to log in