Emergency Information → Resources → Indoor Activities: Physical Education Activities
Physical education activities
(Similar to musical chairs)
- Two seats removed so there are two short for the entire group.
- Leader calls “switch” and students scramble for a chair and everyone moves to new seat.
- Students left without a seat wait for next call.
- (Students are given opportunity to call “switch” as well.)
Silent Speed Ball
- Use Nerf ball, gator skin ball, or lightweight ball.
- No one can make a sound…that’s the object of game.
- Make a good throw around the room …can’t throw back to person who threw to you.
- If you miss the ball or make a bad pass, you are out and must sit at your desk.
- Play until all students are seated.
- Last two are champs!
Ghost in the Graveyard
- Everyone lies on the floor on back…totally still…can’t move a muscle.
- Leader is “it” or picks three students to be “it.”
- Leader walks around and tries to make students laugh or move in any way.
- If they move in any way, they are out of the game and must return to their seats.
- All students are in a circle.
- One student goes into the hallway where he or she can’t see rest of class.
- Teacher picks a student and makes him/her leader.
- The leader makes movements or rhythms that other students mimic immediately so child in hall will not be able to identify the leader when he/she returns to the classroom.
- Similar to follow the leader, e.g., slap leg, touch nose, wiggle, etc.
The Card Game
- Teacher prepares stack of index cards with letters similar to that of a scrabble game (with or without points).
- Divide group into four teams.
- Push desks to side of room.
- Get four scooters from P.E. teacher so each team has one scooter.
- Teacher throws all cards up in the middle of the room.
- Student scoots to pile and takes card and brings it back to his/her team.
- Next team goes…and so on.
- Teacher gives students five minutes to come up with as many words as they can.
- For groups of 3 or 4.
- Write a bunch of different names of animals on paper.
- There is one name per folded up piece of paper.
- Put names in hat.
- Each group picks a name and figures out how to present their charades.
- Playing music with this game makes it lots of fun.
- Option: After animal charades, ask entire group to choreograph a dance that includes all the animals.
Present dance as a performance for others.
- Everyone has a partner.
- Teacher shouts out body parts (head to head, knee to knee, foot to foot, etc.)
- Partners connect.
- When teacher shouts out Busy Bee, students must find a new partner.
- Put music on and students dance.
- Stop music and students FREEZE.
- Play any music and lower the stick!
Heads Up 7-Up
- Leader selects seven students.
- Students put heads on desk and close eyes tightly.
- Students at desks put one thumb up.
- The seven students at the front of the class go around and quietly push one thumb down.
- Then 7-up is called and the students lift their heads.
- The seven at the front of the room stand there while each student touched tries to identify who it was that pushed their thumb down.
- If student is not identified correctly as pushing a particular student’s thumb down, he/she remains at front of class.
- Game repeats.
- For groups of six.
- Each group makes up a portion of a routine.
- One group may do kicks, another may do grapevine, another slide or step-together-step.
- All groups come together and teach each of their steps.
- Put music on and do entire dance/workout.