National Board Customer Support
Kelly Meadows, MSDE
Jennifer Martin, Liaison - MCEA
Phone: (301) 294-6232
National Board Certification
Be informed. Feel empowered. Get active.
Curious About Candidacy? |
For Candidates |
Curious About Candidacy?
What Teachers Should Know and Be Able to Do
- Proposition 1: Teachers are committed to students and their learning.
- Proposition 2: Teachers know the subjects they teach and how to teach those subjects to students.
- Proposition 3: Teachers are responsible for managing and monitoring student learning.
- Proposition 4: Teachers think systematically about their practice and learn from experience.
- Proposition 5: Teachers are members of learning communities.
Eligibility - review the three requirements to determine if you are currently eligible to begin the process of National Board Certification.
2017 Guide to National Board Certification - this guide answers many basic questions about National Board Certification, including cost, deadlines, and component rollout.
Areas of Certification
Based on its Five Core Propositions, the National Board offers standards in 25 certificate areas structured along two dimensions: the developmental level of the students and the subject areas. Choosing the certificate area that best reflects the age range of students and the subject you teach is important because you must be able to demonstrate content and pedagogical knowledge across the full age range of the chosen certificate area (and specialty area, if applicable). Our recommendation to all potential candidates is to carefully study the standards, as well as the demands of the entries and exercises, to determine whether you will be able to demonstrate your level of accomplished practice.
Essay Scoring Rubric
NBPTS Five Core Propsitions
- Scholarship Application Scoring - held in the spring each year, help us to select new candidates by evaluating the scholarship application materials they have put together.
- Newsletter support - help the newsletter team publish a quality newsletter by and about MCPS NBCTs.
- Website Support - help the website development team keep this website up to date and relevant to candidates, NBCTs, and others.
- Candidate Support Provider
- Candidate Coach - we are currently revising our coaching program - please check periodically for updates
- Saturday session presenter - come and talk to candidates on one of several topics at one or more of our Saturday professional learning workshops.
- Certificate area resource bank member - volunteer to be a contact for a potential or actual candidate if they have certificate-specific questions.
- Renewing your National Board Certification - Maintaining your National Board Certification is as valuable as earning it was ten years ago. Scholarships are available to those who apply by the deadline. From the National Board website: "Previous renewal candidates report the PPG process takes 30-40 hours. Since candidates for renewal have already demonstrated they are highly accomplished teachers, approximately 9 out of 10 candidates successfully renew their certification."
- ~~What you will do to renew
- ~~In 2021, the process to maintain, your certification will change. The National Board is working on this new process and more information, including how to field test the new process, will be available well in advance of 2021 implementation.
- The Class of 2014 New and Renewed NBCTs Pinning Ceremony at MCEA
- New NBCT Alexis Simmons and Richard Montgomery HS Assistant Principal Kim Heidler
- NBCTs Aileen Baron, Jennifer Craft, and Claudia Fraser welcoming NBCTs
- Pam Lever, NBCT, welcoming New NBCT Tom Fetherman
- New NBCT Dana Sato adds her star to the NBCT map with Madeleine Thompson, NBCT
- NBCTs Shalini Komal, Steve Dubrow, Renee Patrick (Renewed 2014), Jolynn Tarwater
- Doug Prouty, MCEA President, addresses New and Renewed NBCTs
- Daryl Alston, New NBCT, pinned by Lesley Johnson, NBCT Specialist
- Laura Schley, New NBCT, presents the National Board Network Principal's award to Jennifer Webster, Principal, Damascus HS
- Gail Melson, New NBCT, reflecting on the National Board Certification process
National Board for Professional Teaching Standards - The National Board is recognized for developing the professional standards that define what accomplished teachers should know and be able to do. The National Board also administers National Board Certification, a voluntary assessment program that certifies educators who meet those standards.
Website for candidates and to learn more about the process of National Board Certification.
Website for a more broad understanding of the National Board.
Your Maryland Certification - one of the three requirements for National Board Certification is a MD state licence. You can Check your MSDE Certification and print it yourself. Also, if you have questions for the Certification Unit they have lots of information.
About the National Board Process
Mission (from boardcertifiedteachers.org)
To advance student learning and achievement by establishing the definitive standards and systems for certifying accomplished educators, providing programs and advocating policies that support excellence in teaching and leading and engaging National Board Certified Teachers (NBCTs) and leaders in that process.
Highly accomplished teachers are essential to improving schools. The National Board Process is unlike any other professional development experience in MCPS. It takes “The Skillful Teacher” to the next level where she can demonstrate that they have achieved certification by the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards.
This voluntary, teacher driven professional growth experience:
- Raises the level of rigor while improving student achievement.
- Promotes intense synthesis, analysis and reflection of one’s own teaching and learning as related to specific teaching standards.
- Uses current student data and interactions to improve student learning.
- Promotes and develops more focused, purposeful teaching through a highly effective standards process.
- Creates opportunities for all teachers to teach more effectively.
- Engages parents and the community in deliberate and purposeful interactions.
- Facilitates data analysis of students needs and identifies focused areas for improvement.
- Reaffirms teaching strategies.
- Quality Candidate Support enhances the level of rigor and reflection of the National Board process and decreases attrition rate.