Online Summer Classes for Seniors
Overview | Current Offering | Registration | Requirements | Cost | Contact
The Online Summer Classes for Seniors (OSCRS) program is designed for current and rising seniors who are in need of additional credits to meet graduation requirements for summer 2017 graduation or the following spring 2018 graduation.
In this program, students will work to complete a semester course in five weeks. In contrast to summer school classes, these are not condensed classes and students should expect to spend five hours per day per course on coursework.
Summer 2017—Wednesday, June 28, 2017, to Thursday, August 10, 2017 (5 weeks).
Mandatory student orientation on Wednesday, June 28, 2017, 5:00pm–7:00pm. Tentative location: MCPS Center for Technology Innovation (CTI), 4 Choke Cherry Road, Suite 120, Rockville, Maryland.
- During this orientation, students will receive a password and username.
- The orientation presentation will review the requirements for weekly attendance and assignment due dates and deadlines.
- Students who do not attend this orientation will be removed from the program.
Algebra 1 A/B*, Algebra 2 A/B, 2Yr Algebra 2 A/B, 2Yr Algebra 2 C/D, Geometry A/B, Quantitative Literacy A/B, Statistics A, Pre-Calculus A/B
NOTE: If the program does not meet the required minimum enrollment of 46 students, the program will be canceled and tuitions refunded.
Registration will open on March 23, 2017. Counselors will register students through the OPTG FileMaker portal.
- Attend the mandatory orientation.
- Students must physically check-in weekly at the support center (CTI) and stay for a minimum one hour work session. Attendance will be recorded. Students who miss two check-ins are removed from the program.
- The support center will be open for teacher support and testing from 5 pm to 7 pm, but only MONDAY through THURSDAY. (It is NOT OPEN on Friday.)
- The support center follows the MCPS calendar for holiday closings.
- Students will need reliable access to the internet with either a laptop or desktop computer.
- Students may enroll in up to four half-credit (0.5 credit) courses.
- Students who are enrolled in multiple courses must take a unit test in each course weekly, including the first week.
- Students enrolled in the program should plan to work at least FIVE hours per day per course to meet the goal of course completion by the deadline in August.
- The last day for the program is on August 10, 2017. Students who do not complete a course by the last day may enroll in the Online Pathway to Graduation (OPTG) program to complete any unfinished coursework.
- Cost for enrollment: $300.00. Partial tuition waivers available. This fee allows students to complete up to four courses during the five week period.
- No tuition refunds provided after June 27.
Contact Info for Questions
- Ms. Lipson
Supervisor, Student Online Learning