Board of Education→ Community→Public Participation
General Participation Information
NEW-Comment on the Capital Improvements Program - Hearing Notice (Amended)
Interested in providing testimony to the Board of Education concerning the superintendent's recommended FY 2019 Capital Budget and the FY 2019-2024 Capital Improvements Program (CIP)?
The superintendent released his recommended CIP on October 23, 2017. On November 2, 2017, the Board held a work session on the CIP, developed alternatives to the superintendent's recommendations and decided to hold an additional hearing on November 16, 2017.
Hearings will be held on Monday, November 6, 2017, Wednesday, November 8, 2017, and November 16, 2017, at 6:30 p.m. at Carver Educational Services Center Auditorium, 850 Hungerford Drive, Rockville, MD.
Beginning on Thursday, November 9, 2017, at 9:00 a.m., individuals wishing to testify on November 16, 2017, must register by calling 301-279-3617. Individuals calling to speak may reserve only one space. (Opportunity to sign up will end at 5:00 p.m., on November 15, 2017.) Each speaker will receive 3 minutes to provide testimony. (Please note: The three minute time limit applies to all speakers, except for elected officials, designated cluster representative(s), and designated union/association representatives, who will have five minutes to testify.) A waitlist is currently being accepted for the November 16 hearing.
Each speaker is requested to provide the written testimony no later than listed below:
- For the November 6 hearing, please submit testimony no later than 5 p.m. November 3
- For the November 8 hearing, please submit testimony no later than 5 p.m. November 7
- For the November 16 hearing, please submit testimony no later than 5 p.m. November 15
Written testimony should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org, faxed to 301-279-3860, or delivered to the Board of Education Office at 850 Hungerford Drive, Suite 123, Rockville, MD 20850. Written testimonies must include the date on which the speaker will be testifying. If testimony is not provided as noted in the schedule above, speakers are requested to bring 20 copies of their statement to the hearing for distribution to the Board, staff, and press.
Hearings, Work Session, and Board Action
The schedule for Board of Education review, public hearings, and action on the CIP is as follows:
- October 23, 2017 - superintendent releases CIP
- November 2, 2017 (at 4:00 p.m.) - the Board will hold a work session on the CIP
- November 6 and 8, 2017 (at 6:30 p.m.) - the Board will hold public hearings on the CIP
- November 14, 2017 (during Board meeting) - the Board will hold a work session on the CIP
- November 16, 2017 (at 6:30 p.m.) - the Board will hold a public hearing on the CIP
- November 27, 2017 (at 6:00 p.m.) - the Board will take action on the CIP
The schedule for providing testimony on the CIP is as follows:
- October 24, 2017, at 9:00 a.m., sign-ups begin for individuals wishing to testify about the CIP.
- November 3, 2017, at 5:00 p.m., sign-ups cease for November 6 hearing, please submit testimony for that hearing.
- November 7, 2017, at 5:00 p.m., sign-ups cease for November 8 hearing, please submit testimony for that hearing.
- November 15, 2017, at 5:00 p.m., sign-ups cease for November 16 hearing, please submit testimony for that hearing.
Public Comments at Board Meetings
How Do I Sign Up to Make a Public Comment?
The Board is now accepting sign ups online only!
NOTICE—The form to sign-up to provide public comment at the next Board of Education Business meeting can be found here. The form is generally available from 9 a.m. the Friday before the meeting until noon on the Monday prior to the scheduled Board meeting.
At most business meetings, 30 minutes are set aside for Public Comments from residents to encourage public participation. The first fifteen (15) speakers who register online, will be granted three (3) minutes each to speak as follows:
- The Board will reserve ten (10) of the fifteen (15) slots for public comments for speakers who wish to comment on issues that are on the agenda for that day’s Board meeting. The other five (5) slots will be reserved for speakers who wish to comment on other issues that are not specifically on the agenda.
- Unallocated slots may be filled—first come, first served—on the day of the meeting by signing the appropriate sheet at the Board meeting no later than 15 minutes prior to the scheduled time for Public Comments.
What is an Appropriate Subject for Public Comments?
This is not the proper avenue to address specific student or employee matters, especially those matters on appeal to the Board. Comments about the actions or statements of individual staff members are not appropriate for Public Comments and should be referred to the Superintendent of Schools or processed through available channels.
In advance of the meeting, please e-mail the testimony to email@example.com, fax it to 301-279-3860, or deliver to the Board of Education Office (850 Hungerford Drive, Suite 123, Rockville, MD 20850) and indicate the meeting during which you will be testifying.
If testimony is not provided in advance, speakers are requested to provide 20 copies of their written testimony for distribution to Board members, staff, and the press.
The Board of Education schedules public hearings on issues it determines to be of widespread interest and concern. A quorum of the Board is not required to be present for a hearing to be conducted. In addition to special public hearings, the Board holds hearings on its strategic plan, annual operating budget, proposed Capital Improvement Program (CIP), and school boundaries. Hearings for the proposed capital budget and CIP and/or boundaries are governed by Board Policy FAA, Long-Range Educational Facilities Planning.
General guidelines for public hearings are as follows:
- The subject, date, and opportunities for signup for a public hearing are typically publicized through the Board’s customary communications channels. Unless otherwise stated in the hearing notice, signups generally begin three weeks prior to the hearing date.
- The agenda for the hearing is closed when the maximum number of speakers is registered or at the close of business the day before the hearing.
- The following time limits for testimony apply to public hearings, unless otherwise specified by the Board in the hearing notice:
- Organizations*/Municipalities/Elected Officials: 5 minutes (*Organizations include: Montgomery County Regional Student Government Association/Montgomery County Junior Councils, National Association for the Advancement of Colored People Parents Council, community organizations, MCCPTA, clusters, and the unions.)
- Individuals: 3 minutes
A person calling to speak, other than a cluster coordinator or area vice president, may reserve only one space. Only one speaker will be registered for any organization, unless the Board provides otherwise. Individuals and organizations may not cede time to others who have signed up. Elected officials are given the courtesy of being placed on the agenda at the time of their choice.
Speakers are requested to provide 20 copies of their statement at the hearing, for distribution to the Board, staff, and press. Speakers are requested to submit their testimony to the Board of Education office at least 24 hours in advance of the hearing.
Public hearings are recorded, televised, and transmitted via webcast.
Additional information about public hearings may be found in the Board of Education Handbook
Individuals and groups may send written comments to the Board. Correspondence sent to the Board president will be copied to all Board members.
Montgomery County Board of Education
850 Hungerford Drive
Rockville, Maryland 20850
E-mail communications to Board of Education members should be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org. All Board members will receive the message.