Skip to main content


Special Education

Parental Rights

What parental rights do I have regarding the IEP?

Parental rights are outlined in the Parental Rights Procedural Safeguards brochure that is provided to parents at your child’s IEP team meeting. The following list describes the many rights parents have on behalf of their child:

  • provide consent for evaluation and for the initiation of special education services
  • participate in your child’s IEP meeting;
  • receive a copy of your child’s IEP;
  • review your child’s educational records as well as ask for explanation or interpretation of the information within the records;
  • receive notice of any changes or revisions to your child’s IEP prior to the implementation of those changes (prior written notice);
  • access formal dispute resolution methods as outlined in the Parental Rights-Procedural Safeguards brochure to resolve disputes regarding the identification, evaluation, services, or the provision of a Free Appropriate Public Education (FAPE) for your child;
  • receive information in your native language (if feasible);
  • revoke consent for your child to continue to receive special education services;
  • request an IEP team meeting to discuss any revisions you would like to be made to your child’s IEP;
  • bring individualswho have knowledge of your child to an IEP team meeting;
  • request an independent educational evaluation if you are in disagreement with an MCPS evaluation.

^ Back to Top

What if you don't agree with the school team’s decision that your child needs special education?

If you disagree with the IEP team’s initial decision that your child requires special education services, then you can choose not to sign the IEP. In these cases, special education services will not be implemented for your child.

If, at a later time, you decide that your child does not require special education services, you have the right to revoke consent, which means that all of the special education services will be terminated.

^ Back to Top

What if you do not agree with the program or services that the IEP team recommended for your child?

If you disagree with the school’s recommendations about your child’s education, you have the right to challenge the decisions regarding your child’s eligibility, evaluation, placement, and the services that the school provides. A parent may choose to:

  • speak with the school administration and try to reach an agreement;
  • contact the special education cluster supervisor to assist in resolving the concerns;
  • request an IEP meeting facilitated by someone from the central office who has expertise in the area of concern;
  • contact the Resolution and Compliance Unit to access formal dispute resolution processes to resolve your concerns.

^ Back to Top