teacher leaning over student

Office of Special Education

Services for students with disabilities
from birth through age 21

Who to Contact with Questions

Who do I talk to if I think my child may have a disability?

If you suspect your child may have a disability you will want to meet with your child’s teachers, school counselor, and the building administrators (if appropriate).

You may also make a formal referral to an IEP team for the school to determine your child’s eligibility for special education services. Your referral should be in writing and may be directed to the school principal.

^ Back to Top

Who do I talk to if my child is not receiving the services outlined in his or her Individualized Education Program?

Concerns about the implementation of your child’s IEP should first be discussed at the school level with your child’s case manager, related services providers, teachers, or the building administrator.

If you are unable to resolve your concerns at the school level, you may contact the special education area supervisor assigned to your school or, finally, you may contact the Resolution and Compliance Unit to request formal dispute resolution processes.

Area supervisors are listed in the Special Education Contact List

^ Back to Top

Who can I talk to if I have questions that cannot be answered by the school?

If you are unable to resolve your concerns at the school level, you may contact:

  • the area supervisor assigned to your school;
  • specific program supervisors (speech and language, occupational and physical therapy, autism, emotional disabilities, assistive technology, DHOH/vision; prekindergarten, transition);
  • the Resolution and Compliance Unit can be contacted to request support, including formal processes to resolve disagreements if you are unsuccessful in resolving concerns or if you have further questions.

^ Back to Top

Who do I contact about a specific program or service?

Please refer to the Special Education Contact list

^ Back to Top

What services can my child receive if they are not enrolled in a MCPS school?

Students found eligible for special education services, and who are residents of Montgomery County, will be provided with either an IEP or a Services Plan (SP) depending on parental intent as to their child’s future plans. Resident students who attend a school in Montgomery County and found eligible for services, whose parents plan to have their child continue to attend a private or religious school, will receive a SP that is developed at an IEP team meeting. Eligible resident students, whose parents are exploring the possibility of attending an MCPS program or are uncertain about future plans, will be provided a full IEP. Either the SP or the IEP will be updated annually.

Students who attend a private or religious school in Montgomery County who are found eligible for special education services, but are not residents of Montgomery County, will have a SP developed by the IEP team. The SP will be updated annually. A nonresident parent, who wishes to obtain an IEP for their child would need to return to their county of residence.

Eligible school-aged students attending private or religious schools located in Montgomery County and those home-schooled may be provided speech and language services and/or special education resource services, as required by the SP. Eligible preschool students may receive speech and language therapy services. These services may be consultative or direct. The SP will indicate the frequency and type of service being recommended.

^ Back to Top

Who should I contact if my child is moving into a MCPS school from another state or county?

Using School Assignment Locator on the MCPS Website, identify the school assigned to the home address. Enroll the student at the school and present the most current IEP. The school team will schedule an intake conference with the parent as soon as possible to determine if the home school can provide a FAPE to the student; determine what services can be immediately provided to the student; and schedule an IEP team meeting.

If it appears that the student’s IEP services are more intensive than those available at the home school, the cluster special education supervisor will be contacted immediately. In cases where it is determined that the student requires services that cannot be provided in a comprehensive school setting, a Central IEP team meeting must be expedited.

^ Back to Top