Skip to main content

Pension Contribution Refunds and Rollovers for Former MCPS Employees

As a former Montgomery County Public Schools (MCPS) employee who resigned prior to retirement, you have several options regarding your MCPS core and supplemental retirement plan contributions.

  • You may request either a refund of your contributions and interest or a rollover to a traditional Individual Retirement Account (IRA), a Roth IRA, or a qualified plan such as a 403(b) or 457(b) plan.
  • If vested, you may leave your contributions in the plan and receive a monthly lifetime benefit beginning on your vested retirement date. If your monthly benefit is less than $100, you will receive the present value of your retirement benefit in a lump sum payment on your vested retirement date.

Request a Pension Refund or Rollover

To request a pension refund or rollover—

  • Visit the PenPoint sign-in screen;
  • If you prefer detailed instructions, click Instructions at the top of the screen;
  • From the log-in screen, click Register and provide the requested information;
  • Click Continue to create a user ID and password;
  • Log in to PenPoint, using your user ID and password;
  • Click Request a refund/rollover online, under Take Action; and
  • Follow the on-screen instructions.

Important Reminders

This information pertains only to MCPS core and supplemental pension plans. If you were a member of the State core plan, you will need to contact the Maryland State Retirement Agency (MSRA) at 1-800-492-5909 to inquire about a possible refund.

The amount of your pension rollover or refund check will be reduced to satisfy any financial obligation you may have to MCPS resulting from salary overpayment, excess leave usage, or an outstanding invoice for benefits.

Be sure that the Employee and Retiree Service Center (ERSC) has your current address. If not, complete MCPS Form 445-1B, Change in Personal Information, and submit it to ERSC. Allow up to four weeks for the change to take effect.

For more information, contact ERSC at 301-517-8100 or via email.