student smiling
student smiling

English | español | 中文 | français | Việt Nam | 한국어

Enrollment Information → Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

What school will my child attend?

Each school serves a particular community. To determine what school serves a specific address, contact the Division of Long-range Planning.

Where can I find more information on schools?

The School-odex (schools page) provides contact information, links to the school web site, environment survey data, and facts regarding enrollment, budget, and facilities.

Where do I register my child?

Registration takes place at your local school. Registration can take place at any point during the school year, but it may be advisable to call ahead and make an appointment.

Who is responsible for school boundaries?

The Division of Long-range Planning is responsible for school boundaries. More information about the process is on the boundary information page.

How old must my child be to enroll?

Find out pre-Kindergarten and Kindergarten age requirements for the current school year on the Age & Attendance Requirements page. Several programs exist for early childhood, as well.

How may I verify my child's age?

Proofs of identity include a birth certificate, passport, hospital certificate, and/or other legal or notarized identification.

What is the compulsory attendance law?

The law states that "each child who resides in this State and is 5 years old or older and under 17 shall attend a public school regularly during the entire school year," but several exemptions exist, particularly for Kindergarten.

Are there any exemptions to the compulsory attendance law?

State law allows for three exemptions for Kindergarten: for immaturity, for attendance in a licensed child-care center, or for attendance in a registered family day-care home.

What examinations and immunizations are required?

State of Maryland vaccine requirements vary by age. The requirements are listed on the Maryland Department of Health & Mental Hygiene's web site.

Montgomery County Public Schools

Contact MCPS

Call: 301-309-6277 | Spanish Hotline: 301-230-3073

Contact Employee & Retiree Services Center

Call: 301-517-8100 | E-mail:

©1995–2017 Montgomery County Public Schools, 850 Hungerford Drive, Rockville, Maryland 20850

Click here to log in