Skip to main content

Employee and Retiree Service Center → Employees → Leave information → Academic Leave

Academic Leave

The academic leave program has not been funded for the 2020-2021 school year due to the tight fiscal environment. Please check back.

During years when the academic leave program is available, MCPS employees with at least seven years of continuous service can apply for paid academic leave at 50 or 60 percent of their annual salary. There is a deadline to apply, so check back if you are interested in this leave option.

MCEA and SEIU Local 500 employees must submit a current letter of acceptance from a college or university. The acceptance letter must include verification of full-time student status and the proposed program of course work by semester, including course titles, course number, and corresponding credit values for each course.

MCAAP employees must submit a proposed program of research or work with a description of how the program will enhance their professional growth and contribute to the improvement of the school system.

To apply, please send your completed application packet to the Leave Administration Team of the Employee and Retiree Service Center. Frequently asked questions are addressed below. If you still have additional questions, you may contact the Leave Administration Team, Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m., at 301-517-8100.

Frequently Asked Questions

Get answers to your academic leave questions