Skip to main content Skip to footer site map

EMERGENCY MESSAGE: 1/17/2018 at 7:11 AM -- Refresh page to update message

Urgent Update: Due to unsafe road conditions affecting school transportation, Montgomery County Public Schools is now closing schools today, January 17, 2018. All school-sponsored and community-use activities in school buildings are canceled. Administrative offices are open on time. Day care programs in school buildings may remain open as scheduled.

MENSAJES DE EMERGENCIA: 1/17/2018, 7:11 AM -- Refresque la página para actualizar mensaje

Actualización urgente: debido a las condiciones de peligro en las carreteras que afectan los autobuses escolares, las Escuelas Públicas del Condado de Montgomery permanecerán cerradas hoy 17 de enero de 2018. Las oficinas administrativas abrirán en horario regular. Los programas de cuido en los edificios escolares podrán permanecer abiertos según su horario regular.

See Emergency Information

Student Transfers
(Change of School Assignment)

2018-2019 School Year

How are Students Assigned to Their Home School?

Students in Montgomery County are assigned to public schools based on their place of residence or in accordance with an Individualized Education Program (IEP) or other programmatic assignment.  Students are expected to attend their assigned school. Paired elementary schools are considered as one school for school assignment purposes. In order to attend a different school, the student must document a unique hardship or fall within one of the following four exceptional circumstances. 

To determine what the local school is for a specific address, call the School Boundary Information Line at 240-314-4710 between 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. weekdays.  

Why is a Student Allowed to Transfer to Another School?

A. Documented, unique hardship  

B. Exceptional circumstances  

  • Sibling: A younger sibling may attend the school of an older sibling in the regular/general program, if the older sibling will be attending the requested school the following school year.*
  • Continuation: Although a new COSA form must be submitted, middle school students on an approved COSA will be permitted to continue to that school's feeder pattern high school.* However, elementary school students return to their home middle schools, unless a new COSA form is submitted and approved based on unique hardship, one of the stated exceptions applies*, or the student is accepted into an application program or through the Consortium Choice guidelines.**
  • Family Relocation: When a family moves within Montgomery County, preference to remain in the original school will be considered to complete the current school year only. 
  • NOTE: Exempt Programs: Students selected for an exempt countywide program do not need to submit a COSA form. 
  •  * This exception does not apply when a boundary change has occurred. 
  • **The following students are not required to submit a COSA if requesting another school within their Consortium: high school students who reside in the Northeast Consortium (NEC) or Douncounty Consortium (DCC) and are requesting another Consortium school; and middle school students who reside in the Middle School Magnet Consortium (MSMC) and requesting another MSMC school or who went through the MSMC Choice process lottery and are appealing to an MSMC school. 

Please note that by accepting a change of school assignment (COSA), the parent or guardian accepts responsibility to provide transportation.  

How do I Apply for a School Transfer? 

The transfer process begins in the home school, where parents may request an assignment change form and the Change of School Assignment Information Booklet that describes the process and provides useful information.

Other languages |中文 | français | tiếng Việt | 한국어 | አማርኛ |

Assignment change forms and the information booklets will be available in schools beginning the first week of February. Special programs that do not fall under the transfer guidelines are listed in the information booklet. Every effort will be made to notify parents of the assignment decision in May. Special education COSA requests for students receiving 15 or more hours of special education services will be decided after July 1.

When Can a Student Request a Transfer?

Montgomery County parents who wish to request a change in school assignment for their children from their home school may begin the process during transfer season, which is held from the first school day in February through the first school day in April

Downcounty, Northeast, And Middle School Magnet Consortia Students

For information about the Northeast Consortium, Downcounty Consortium or Middle School Magnet Consortium, contact the Division of Consortia Choice and Application Program Services (DCCAPS):

Click here to log in