Skip to main content


What is Dual Enrollment?

Within MCPS, Dual Enrollment is the term used to described students who are dually enrolled in an MCPS high school and a postsecondary institution of higher learning.  

Do all students who complete a college course get high school credit

Students who enroll in and successfully complete college courses approved for high school credit, will get credit for the courses on their high school and college transcript, unless they decide the high school credit is not wanted in advance of enrollment.

What are some of the benefits of Dual Enrollment?

Dual Enrollment programs enable students to:

  • Take college courses at at no cost during the fall, winter, and spring semesters from the regular cost of courses after high school graduation;
  • Earn transferable college credits by taking college courses while still in high school;
  • Learn good academic habits and new skills;
  • Improve time management skills;
  • Form accurate perspectives of what skills and education are needed to be successful at the college level, and
  • Complete high school and/or college ahead of their peers.

Who can participate in Dual Enrollment?

There are some specific requirements associated with the Middle and Early College Dual Enrollment Programs; however, for Jumpstart to College (general Dual Enrollment options) students must:

  • Be enrolled in an MCPS high school
  • Receive parent/guardian and principal approval
  • Assess college level via approved college ready measure (e.g. ACT, SAT, ACCUPLACER, etc.)
  • Have at least a 2.75 unweighted  cumulative GPA. For seniors, a  2.5 unweighted cumulative GPA is needed.

Students should speak to the high school DEPA regarding the GPA details and access options related to select high school courses.

What is the process for taking advantage of a Dual Enrollment option?

Contact the high school DEPA to initiate the process. Click here for a list of DEPAs and school deadlines. Students applying for this opportunity at MC, should begin by accessing the Montgomery College Office of Academic Initiatives’ Dual Enrollment webpage for more specific information, procedures, and forms to begin the process. 

What courses are offered through the Dual Enrollment Program?

A list of approved Montgomery College courses are found here. To review the transferability of college courses between Maryland colleges and universities, visit the Articulation System for Maryland Colleges and Universities website. For specific information related to college course options at your local high school, or courses not listed on the approved list above contact the high school counselor or click here for a list of DEPAs and school deadlines.

What high school graduation credit can be earned through the Dual Enrollment Program?

While not every college course is approved for high school credit, students may earn high school credit for hundreds of courses offered at Montgomery College (MC).  A list of approved MC courses and the corresponding high school credit can be found here.    

What courses are offered at my home high school?

College courses offered on the high school site are approved by the high school principal and determined by student interest and the ability to meet minimum class size requirements. The courses offered may vary by semester per high school. Student must indicate their interest in taking a college courses at least one semester prior to the start of the course. 

What is the difference between an Advanced Placement (AP) course and a college course?

The Maryland State Department of Education identifies College Board AP courses as college-like courses taught by high school teachers. Dual Enrollment courses are college courses taught by college professors. Both college and AP courses offer rigorous options for students.  Students will earn college credit with the successful completion of the college course. Students may earn college credit with the completion of the AP course and identified score on the AP exam. It is recommended that students research which colleges/universities accept AP and/or Dual Enrollment course credit.  

Do college and universities accept credits earned through dual enrollment?

Approved credits earned through dual enrollment transfer to universities within the University System of Maryland (USM).  If leaving USM, we encourage students to contact the university of interest and inquire directly.  Just like AP scores, some universities take them and some don’t.

Is transportation provided for students going to the college campus to take a course?

MCPS provides transportation from each MCPS high school to the nearest MC campus at specific times during the day. Transportation is provided during the fall, winter, and spring Montgomery College semesters at specific times and on weekdays NOT designated as holidays by MCPS.

A list of transportation times by high school can be found HERE.

As Montgomery College (MC) students, they may utilize both the RideOn bus service and the MC bus service using their MC college ID cards during the semester in which they are enrolled at MC.

Can a parent/guardian monitor their student's progress in the college course?

FERPA (Family Educational Rights Privacy Act) applies to all students enrolled in college courses, despite the age of the student. Therefore, communication is only between the student and the college. Students are responsible for monitoring their educational progress through their MC student account and communication with their professors.

Will parents/guardians be informed of a student's enrollment and performance in a college course?

Parents, counselors, and principals must approve the student's college course(s) through the enrollment process, however,  per FERPA, all communication from the college will be addressed to the student. It is the responsibility of student to share all information regarding performance and college course progress with their parents/guardians. Parents/guardians are encouraged to be actively involved in the application and registration process with their child.

What resources can a student access at the college if they are dually enrolled?

A high school student can access all resources available to a college student (Library, free tutoring at the Tutoring Center, Writing Center, online data bases, on-line Writing Center, etc).

Does MCPS determine the college curriculum?

MCPS does not determine the college curriculum but does evaluate it for high school credit.  MC is solely responsible for determining the college curriculum and instructional materials. 

Does MCPS supervise, hire, or evaluate the college professors?

No.  MC is responsible for selecting, hiring, and paying the college professors.

Who do I contact and/or where do I go for more information about Dual Enrollment?

You may contact your child’s counselor or the high school’s Dual Enrollment Program Assistant (DEPA). Click here for a list of DEPAs.  You also may visit the Montgomery College Dual Enrollment webpage for more details about Dual Enrollment procedures and deadlines.

Can a prepaid college account such as the Maryland college investment plan be used to pay for dual enrollment courses?

Yes, prepaid college funds such as the Maryland college investment plan and others can be used to pay the student’s portion of any tuition and fees associated with dual enrollment.  Verify with the financial institution associated with the account.

Is there a one-page document that outlines the differences between dual enrollment collegiate options?

Yes.  You can view a one pager that delineated the main differences between each of the dual enrollment options by clicking here.