Prekindergarten & Head Start Enrollment and Registration
Who is eligible to apply for MCPS Prekindergarten and Head Start Programs?
The MCPS Prekindergarten/Head Start program serves low-income families with children who will be four years old by September 1, 2018. This includes children with disabilities. There are limited spaces available in certain areas of Germantown, Rockville, and Takoma Park for Head Start income-eligible children who will be three years old by September 1, 2018.
How old do children need to be to apply for the programs?
To enroll in the four-year-old program for the 2018-2019 school year, children must be four years old by September 1, 2018.
How do parents apply for the MCPS Prekindergarten/Head Start Programs?
Registration for the 2018-2019 school year will begin on March 5, 2018.
Walk-in applications are accepted Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m at Rocking Horse Road Center, 4910 Macon Road, Room 143, Rockville, Maryland 20852.
Appointments are available if preferred. Call 240-740-4530 for an appointment.
Applications are not accepted on a first come, first served basis. All children who are age and income eligible will be placed. However, registration before July 31 is strongly recommended to ensure timely processing of your application.
Also, applications will be accepted on selected weekday evenings and Saturdays as well as at other community locations, including a number of elementary schools.
List of Community Locations and Extended Hours for Prekindergarten/Head Start Registration
List of Registration Dates at Schools
The Prekindergarten and Head Start Process
In order for an application for Prekindergarten/Head Start to be processed, parents must bring the following documents:
- Birth Certificate, Passport/VISA, Physician's Certificate, Baptismal or Church Certification, Hospital Certificate, Parent's Affidavit, or Birth Registration for child's date of birth verification.
- Household Income Verification: This must be provided for all persons working or receiving income in the household
- 2017 1040 tax statements including all W2's and three current pay stubs for each job; and, if self-employed, submit Schedule "C" (Profit or Loss from Business) and Form 1099
- Proof of additional income sources (i.e., child support court order or letter, unemployment benefits, Temporary Cash Assistance, rental income, Social Security benefits, financial support letter showing dollar amount, etc.)
- Acceptable Proofs of Montgomery County Residence:
- Current property tax bill or deed and current utility bill (if homeowner)
- Copy of current lease (if renter) and Housing Opportunities Commission letter, if applicable; if lease is more than one year old, lease and current utility bill
- Notarized Shared Housing Disclosure: MCPS Form 335-74 (if sharing housing and/or living with others); AND copy of homeowners' property tax bill or deed, or renters' current lease; and owner's utility bill; and two current documents with date, parent name and address
- Parent's/Guardian's Photo Identification and court documents for custody, if applicable
- Additional Supporting Documents: child care provider's name, address, and telephone number, child's medical insurance information, Food Stamps, WIC, child care subsidy vouchers, child's social security card, rental/utilities assistance, Individualized Education Program (IEP), proof of guardianship/foster care, if applicable
Check List for Required Documentation for Prekindergarten/Head Start Registration in English and español
Start your application here: Print and complete and bring with you when you apply. Student Emergency Form
Marque Agui para comenzar su solicitud, imprima, llene y traiga con usted cuando venga a aplicar. Información de Emergencia del/de la Estudiante
Where can I get more information about the Prekindergarten and Head Start Programs?
For additional information about the MCPS Prekindergarten and Head Start programs:
TTY Phone Number: 301-230-5462