English Department - 240.740.2430
Daniel McKenna, Resource Teacher - 240.740.2431
Melissa Adams, Teacher
Paulette Bowles, Teacher
Sean Foster, Teacher
Donna Gibson, Teacher
Stephanie Gomer, Teacher and Journalism Instructor
Katie Horan, Teacher
Jennifer Marks, Teacher
Brian McMullen, English Composition Assistant
Mitchell Ornstein, Teacher
Dryer Thackston, Teacher
Clayton Traver, Teacher
Diane Van Yuga, Teacher
English 9 Summer Reading (Updated July 2, 2019)
English 10 Summer Reading (Updated June 4, 2019)
English 11 Summer Reading (Updated June 10, 2019)
English 12 Summer Reading (Updated June 4, 2019)
AP English Language for Non Humanities Students (Updated June 4, 2019)
Into the Wild Argument Outline for AP English Language summer work
AP English Literature (Updated June 4, 2019)
Certificate in Advanced Arts
Take specific classes and join organizations to earn the following Advanced Arts Certificates! Click HERE for a presentation explaining this exciting new program!
Advanced Arts Pathways Requirements Form - Due March 29, 2019
Creative and Performing Arts
Visual Arts - Humanities students
Visual Arts - non Humanities students
In the upcoming school year, The Poolesville Pulse will have successfully reached its 14th year of circulation at Poolesville High School. Part of what has made this newspaper so successful is the support of its appreciated patrons and advertisers. The community has always provided aid when the high school needs it, creating a wonderful environment in which students can learn and grow. We are writing to you with another opportunity to support the students of Poolesville High School by promoting the Journalism program and reinforcing students’ endeavors to report the news.As a patron, your name will be listed in every issue of the paper. As a patron subscriber, in addition to being recognized in the patron listing, you will have a copy of each issue delivered to your home address. If you are interested in becoming one of our valued patrons or patron subscribers, please click HERE for a form to complete and return by mail.
The English Department sponsors a Writing Support lab daily during lunchtime in Lab 12. Students can receive assistance on English assignments and college essays
Suggested English Links
- AP CENTRAL: AP Central™, the official online home for Advanced Placement programs
- Most Common SAT Words - 66 Most Common SAT Words
- Maryland State HSA 10th grade High School Assessment information, examples and reviews.
- Noodlebib Reference tool to assist in student writing
- GaleNet Databases on literature, literary criticism, authors and poetry.
- Literary Resources on the Net(Rutgers University): English and American Literature links
- Online Writing Lab (Purdue University) The OWL at Purdue offers online handouts covering writing, research, grammar, and MLA and APA style.
- Easybib Automatic bibliography composer
- Dictionary.com Online dictionary, thesaurus, encyclopedia and translator.
- ONLINE! Citation Styles
- Towson University Online Writing Support Site:Site includes learning modules in grammar, usage, and mechanics, as well as self-teaching units
Top of page
Seminars and Workshops
Top of page