Forms → Parents & Students → Enrollment/Records → Eligible Student Declaration Form
Form number: 281-12
Last revised: May 2016
INSTRUCTIONS: Once a student reaches 18 years of age or attends a postsecondary institution, (or is emancipated) the student becomes an “eligible student,” and all rights formerly given to parents/guardians under the U.S. Department of Education Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) transfer to the student.
FERPA gives parents/guardians and eligible students these basic rights*:
• The right to inspect and review the student’s education records** maintained by the school;
• The right to request that a school amend the student’s education records;
• The right to consent in writing to the disclosure of personally identifiable information from the student’s education record, except under certain permitted situation (MCPS Form 281-13, Annual Notice for Directory Information and Student Privacy); and
• The right to file a complaint with the Family Policy Compliance Office (FPCO) regarding an alleged violation under FERPA.
This form is for the student to complete to declare that they are an eligible student as defined by FERPA. The form should be returned to the student’s Counseling Office.
* Although the law does say that the rights afforded parents/guardians by FERPA transfer to the eligible student, parents/guardians of dependent eligible students may access the eligible student’s records without prior consent of the eligible student.
** Education Records is defined as those records that contain information directly related to a student and which are maintained by an educational agency or institution or by a party acting for the agency or institution.
Forms require Adobe Acrobat Reader 8 or higher. Get Acrobat