The Board of Education met yesterday [May 10] and, among other items, appointed eleven administrators, approved a policy on a positive work environment, approved the name for Quince Orchard Middle School #2, and reviewed an update on the Division of Family and Community Partnerships. The Board also reviewed a report from the Mental Health Task Force, recognized winners of NAACP scholarships, and recognized food and nutrition service personnel.
Update on Family and Community Partnerships
The Board discussed an update on the work of the Division of Family and Community Partnerships, reorganized in 2004 to strengthen productive partnerships with the community and to establish diverse communications resources to support student learning.
Naming of Quince Orchard MS #2
The Board approved the name Lakelands Park Middle School for Quince Orchard Middle School #2, following the submission of three names by the School Naming Advisory Committee.
Final Approval of Policy GAA
The Board approved Policy GAA, Positive Work Environment in a Self-renewing Organization, developed to provide a core governance policy addressing the creation and maintenance of a positive work environment.
The Board approved the following administrative appointments:
· Vickie Strange-Moscoso, currently director, Division of Preschool Special Education, Special Schools, and Related Services, Department of Special Education, as director, Department of Special Education Operations
· Gwendolyn J. Mason, currently director, Division of School-Based Special Education Services, as director, Department of Special Education Services
· James L. Virga, Jr., currently principal, Viers Mill Elementary School, as director, School Improvement Initiatives, Office of Organizational Development
· Tamera A. Sherr, currently principal, Glenn Dale Elementary School, Prince George's County Public Schools, as principal, Bethesda Elementary School
· Beth Brown, currently principal intern, Fallsmead Elementary School, as principal, Beverly Farms Elementary School
· Raymond Myrtle, currently consultant, American Institutes for Research, Washington, D.C., as principal, Highland Elementary School
· Bertram B. Generlette, currently principal intern, Piney Branch Elementary School, as principal, Piney Branch Elementary School
· John D. Ewald, currently principal intern, Georgian Forest Elementary School, as principal, Westbrook Elementary School
· Victoria Parcan, currently assistant principal, Cabin John Middle School, as principal, Silver Spring International Middle School
· James P. Koutsos, currently assistant principal, Seneca Valley High School, as principal, Clarksburg Area High School
· Andrei E. Ghelman, currently assistant principal, Thomas S. Wootton High School, as principal, Colonel Zadok Magruder High School
Mental Health Task Force Report
The Board reviewed a report from the Mental Health Task Force to recommend strategies to enhance community awareness of the important link between mental health and academic success.
Dialogue on Current Issues
The Board engaged in a discussion of operating and capital budget issues.
The Board recognized the nine winners of scholarships awarded by the Montgomery County Branch of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP). The students all reside in Montgomery County and eight of them attend MCPS.
School Food and Nutrition Service Personnel Day
The Board recognized representatives of food and nutrition service personnel in honor of the nineteenth annual Salute to School Food and Nutrition Service Personnel Day.