The Board of Education met yesterday [April 25] and, among other items, discussed a report on reading achievement and appointed eight principals. The Board also approved an amendment to the FY 2006 Capital Budget and recognized the winner of the Maryland State Civic Star Award. The observance of National Student Leadership Week, Asian Pacific American Heritage Month, and Teacher Appreciation Week were approved.
Kindergarten-Grade 2 Reading Achievement
The Board discussed data showing that an increasing percentage of Kindergarten-Grade 2 students are meeting benchmarks in foundational reading skills and text-reading levels. The results underscore the success of reform initiatives begun five years ago. The report outlines steps to expand key initiatives, and the Board emphasized the compelling need to fully fund these initiatives.
FY 2006 Capital Budget Amendment
The Board voted to adopt the superintendent's recommended priority order of construction project deferrals if current elevated construction prices continue and an offset to increases in programmed expenditures for Fiscal Year 2006 becomes necessary. The resolution was forwarded to the county executive and the County Council.
The Board approved the following administrative appointments:
· Sean Bulson, currently acting principal, Bethesda-Chevy Chase High School, as principal, Bethesda-Chevy Chase High School
· Christopher S. Garran, currently acting principal, Walter Johnson High School, as principal, Walter Johnson High School
· John Yore, currently acting principal, Sherwood High School, as principal, Sherwood High School
· Kevin A. Hobbs, currently assistant principal, Watkins Mill High School, as principal, Parkland Middle School
· Richard H. Bishop, currently assistant principal, Gaithersburg Middle School, as principal, John Poole Middle School
· Andrew J. Winter, currently principal intern, Washington Grove Elementary School, as principal, Greencastle Elementary School
· Sally Ann Macias, currently acting principal, Jackson Road Elementary School, as principal, Jackson Road Elementary School
· Yong-Mi Kim, currently principal intern, Greencastle Elementary School, as principal, Wayside Elementary School
National Student Leadership Week
The Board marked the observance of National Student Leadership Week in April, commending student leaders for their efforts and achievements on behalf of the school system.
Asian Pacific American Heritage Month
The Board recognized the observance in May of Asian Pacific American Heritage Month, expressing appreciation to Asian Pacific American students, staff, businesses, and community leaders for their hard work, vision, and achievements.
Teacher Appreciation Week
The Board recognized the outstanding achievements and dedication of Montgomery County Public Schools teachers, approving the observance of Teacher Appreciation Week from May 1-7, and Teacher Appreciation Day on Tuesday, May 3.
Maryland State Civic Star Award
The Board of Education accepted the Maryland State Civic Star Award, cosponsored by Sodexho School Services and the American Association of School Administrators, for implementing the Ruth Rales Comcast Kids Reading Network in partnership with the RFI Foundation, Comcast of Montgomery, and other partners.