JHC-RA, Reporting and Investigating Child Abuse and Neglect
About this Regulation
Last revised: July 24, 2017
To set forth procedures and guidelines for reporting and investigating child abuse and neglect.
All MCPS employees, contractors, and volunteers are personally and directly required to report any suspected instance of abuse or neglect of a child or vulnerable adult.
Responsibilities of MCPS employees, contractors, and volunteers include, but are not limited to:
- Immediate oral report to Montgomery County Child Protective Service (CPS) or Adult Protective Services (APS) for vulnerable adults.
- Notification to Principal/Supervisor
- Notification to Special Victims Investigations Division of the Montgomery County Police Department (MCPD). If it is an emergency, call MCPD at 911 or 301-279-8000 immediately.
- Submitting a written report on MCPS Form 335-44, Report of Suspected Abuse and Neglect within 48 hours.
- Full cooperation with the County Multi-Disciplinary Team (MDT) participating agencies and other external agencies in investigations of suspected abuse and neglect.