Departments → Physical Education
Also see: Athletics Information
Awards and Recognition
- Sara Beabout was awarded the 2013 Simon McNeely Health Educator of the Year
- Jimmy Little was awarded the 2014 MAHPERD Middle School Teacher of the Year
- Julius West Physical Education has been recognized as a Maryland State Demonstration Program for the 2014-2019 school years.
- Brittany Trail was awarded the 2016 MAHPERD Middle School Teacher of the year.
- Andy Lee was awarded 2017 Simon McNeely Physical Education Teacher
"Our mission is for ALL students to become health and physically literate by establishing a growth mindset that drives health habits, movement, and positive relationships"
(Julius West M.S. Physical Education Department, 2018-2019)
What is Physical Literacy?
- Development of decision making, problem solving, and physical skills through a variety of movement opportunities.
- Demonstration of knowledge and positive relationship skills through movement, speaking, writing, and listening.
- Maintain healthy habits.
- Continually work to improve our bodies.
- Develop our mental capacity to succeed.
Our Approach Combines Tactical Games and Sport Education which:
Fosters teamwork, problem solving, and creative thinking, and
Improves communication and social skills.
Julius West Fitness Standards
Staff members can be found in the Staff Directory
Health Education is a nine week course included in the Physical Education program. The focus of health is to learn what to do to prevent and handle health problems as well as improve personal health. Each grade level will cover seven units of study including:
- Mental Health
- Safety and Injury Prevention
- Personal and Consumer Health
- Alcohol, Tobacco and other Drugs
- Nutrition and Fitness
- Family Life and Human Sexuality
- Disease Prevention and Control
Each grade level has a special emphasis on different content standards
Safety and Injury Prevention
Medicines in My Home
Project TNT (Towards No Tobacco)
Tobacco, Alcohol, and Other Drugs
(Adolescent Learning Experience Resistance Training)
Nutrition and Fitness
Family Life and Human Sexuality
Disease Prevention and Control
Red Flags Lesson
As Students explore topics in health, they also build skills in communication, critical thinking, decision making, stress management, goal setting and resistance to pressure. As part of the Middle Years Programme, Health emphasizes health and social education areas of interaction. This course not only provides information, but encourages students to develop personal and social skills and positive attitudes to health.