Inclement Weather Procedures
Winter weather emergencies, such as snow and ice, may cause disruptions in school operations, including the closure of school, a delayed opening, an early dismissal, or a move to virtual learning.
How to Receive MCPS Emergency Information
How to keep in touch with Montgomery County Public Schools (MCPS)
- Emergency Information Sources Use this link to find all the ways you can connect with MCPS to receive emergency operational information from the school system.
- Read this brochure covering Emergency Preparedness and understand Shelter, Lockdown, and Evacuate procedures in MCPS available in:
How Montgomery County Public Schools (MCPS) reaches decisions about weather-related school closures, delays, and early dismissals.
School Closings and Other Emergency Procedures
Details about closure of schools, delayed openings, early dismissals, and more. Weekend decisions are made by the county's Interagency Coordinating Board for the use of public facilities.
- Emergency closure of schools
- Community Use of Schools (ICB)
- School contingency calendar if instructional days need to be added to the end of the scheduled school year
- Virtual Learning Plan
Montgomery County Public Schools (MCPS) is prepared to effectively and efficiently respond to a multitude of emergency situations that may impact students, staff, and parents or guardians.