- Summer service - Friday 9/29/17
- 1st semester service - Friday 1/5/18
- 2nd semester service - Friday 6/1/18
myMCPS Portal: SSL Hours Now Available
MCPS students must complete a certain number of Student Service Learning (SSL) hours for graduation. To help students and their families monitor the number of hours they have earned as compared to the requirement, upgrades to the Grade History report in the myMCPS Portal (in Chrome) have been made to include SSL hours information. Students and parents can view this information by selecting Grade History from the navigation menu. SSL information will be displayed at the top of the report.
Board of Elections Recruiting for “Future Vote” Program
The Montgomery County Board of Elections is seeking registered voters to serve as election workers at polling places for the Gubernatorial General Election to be held on November 6, 2018.
- School-age students, grades 6-12, are needed to participate in the “Future Vote” Program. Future Vote students will serve as Election Day student aides during the 2018 Gubernatorial General Election on Tuesday, November 6. There are also opportunities for students to assist the Board of Elections with a variety of activities before Election Day. Students and their guardians must attend mandatory training to participate in the Future Vote Program and, if applicable, students will receive Student Service Learning (SSL) credits.
- Students 16 years old or older are eligible to register to vote and serve as election poll workers. Each minor must demonstrate, to the satisfaction of the Maryland State Board of Elections, that they meet all qualifications for registration in the State. Students serving as election workers may choose to earn 25 Student Service Learning (SSL) credits in lieu of the stipend.
- Due to the diversity within the county, voters who speak multiple languages are also needed. Voters who are fluent in both English and Spanish are especially needed in each polling place to meet the requirements of Section 203 of the 1975 Voting Rights Act which stipulates that bilingual Spanish speakers be available at the polling places.
To apply online TODAY:
Future Vote Election Day Ambassadors (15 & younger/6-12 grade): https://www4.montgomerycountymd.gov/BoardOfElections/registerGuardianFv.seam
- Earn up to 4-12 SSL credits & MCPS pre-approved
- Deadline: Friday, October 12, 2018
Future Vote Election Judges (16 & older): https://www4.montgomerycountymd.gov/BoardOfElections/qA.seam
- Earn up to $210 or 25 SSL
- MCPS pre-approved
- Must be U.S. citizens & registered to vote
- Deadline: Friday, October 12, 2018
SSL – first semester deadline--The deadline for SSL hours completed during the summer is Friday, September 29th. This is the last Friday of September. No summer forms will be accepted after Friday, September 29th.
MCPS SSL Awards Process
- The Superintendent’s Student Service Learning Award is given to students who have documented 75 hours of service in their service-learning record in a middle school year. This award is only presented once.
- If you think you have earned this award or if you have any SSL forms to turn in for consideration for this award, please do so no later than ....TBD The SSL Coordinator’s deadline is .... TBD
- Remember that any service hours earned during this semester are due by the first Friday in June.
MCPS SSL Guidelines
- The Girl Scout Council Of The Nation's Capital and The Boy Scouts Of America, National Capital Area Council are MCPS SSL approved organizations as indicated on the Montgomery County Volunteer Center website:
- MCPS students may earn SSL hours for the approved activities that are listed in this organization’s profile in the “SSL Not Recruiting” section at the bottom of the page. Only service activities that benefit the greater community are eligible for SSL hours. Any troop activities that exclusively benefits a troop (such as den/troop meetings, recognition events, team building activities, or supporting other local troops) are not eligible for SSL hours.
Wilson Wims ES SSL Opportunities
Wilson Wims ES uses a lot of SSL kids for their events! Sign up if you are interested in volunteering at their events using the link provided: http://www.wwespta.org/#!ssl-sign-up/lnz66