Student Service Learning Deadlines:
- September 25th 2015 for all summer hours
- January 8th 2016 for Semester 1 hours
- April 4th 2016 for Seniors to have documentation of 260+ hours for Certificate of Meritorious Service
- May 1st 2016 for Seniors to have ALL their hours and forms completed and turned in
- June 3rd 2016 for Semester 2 hours for 9th - 11th grade students
- Teen Ambassador Program at NIH in Bethesda, MD – This opportunity unites passionate middle and high school students, ages 12 to 19, to support The Children’s Inn’s mission and engage in philanthropic efforts through volunteering, fundraising, and special activities – get complete details in the flyer.
- Arts Barn Volunteers - We need stage hands for the Arts Barn production of The Foreigner. Interested boys or girls can contact Mark directly to get in touch with the producer.
- Extended Learning Opportunities Summer Adventures in Learning (ELO SAIL) and Extended Learning Opportunities Summer Title I Enrichment Programs (ELO STEP) are Montgomery County Public Schools’ (MCPS) summer programs is looking for volunteers to work under the supervision of a teacher to provide classroom support and assist with other activities. Volunteers will be assigned to work in either of the ELO programs. See this flyer for more information. When: July 5 – July 29, 2016 for 4 hours each weekday morning.
- Brookside Gardens – Volunteers are needed to make a difference, to broaden your skills, or just for fun. Student Service Learning opportunities are indicated by “SSL opportunity!” Apply for any of these Brookside Gardens volunteer opportunities athttp://www.parksvolunteers.org and get list of opportunities in the flyer.
- Wings of Fancy – Volunteers are needed to welcome visitors, explain exhibit rules, and show off exhibit highlights to delighted visitors of all ages. Volunteer shifts are 9:45a.m.-1:15p.m. and 1:00p.m.-5:00p.m. seven days a week. Minimum com-mitment of 10 shifts required. Training starts April 17th. Volunteers must be ages 14 and older or 11-13 with a registered parent/guardian volunteer and you can register online at parksvolunteers.org. For more info, see the flyer.
- City of Takoma Park Safe Routes to School Program brings iCan Shine Bike Camp to Takoma Park June 27-July 1, 2016 at Takoma Academy, 8120 Carroll Avenue, Takoma Park, MD. iCan Shine is a non-profit organization that teaches individuals with disabilities to ride a conventional two-wheel bicycle using adapted equipment, trained professionals and volunteers. With 75 minutes of instruction over five days, over 80% of the campers learn to ride a conventional bicycle independently by the end of camp. Visit icanshine.org to see how the camp works. Volunteer spotters will work with the same camper during the same 75 minute session for five days. Prior to each session there will be a 15 minute briefing for the volunteers on the camper's progress and needs. Spotters run along side the bike encouraging the rider by cheering and giving instructions. The volunteers will have a direct impact on the progress of the camper. Volunteers must be at least 16 years old, be able to attend 90 minutes at the same time each of the 5 days of camp (15 minutes of training/briefing, 75 minute riding session) be able to provide physical, emotional and motivational support to assigned rider be able and willing to get some exercise (light jogging/running) for a great cause! For more information and to register: iCan Shine.org<http://icanshine.org/ican-bike-takoma-park-md/> and Safe Routes to School<http://takomaparkmd.gov/initiatives/safe-routes-to-school/> or check out the flyer and SIGN UP FOR SLOTS HERE --- 30 volunteers are needed: https://takomapark.seamlessdocs.com/f/iCanBikeVol
- Gaithersburg Student Union - Come join the group at lunch every Wednesday in room 144 and find out about great SSL and community activities going on in Gaithersburg. Details about the upcoming events for this month can be found below.
SSL Important Links
What is Student Service Learning?
"Student Service Learning (SSL) involves the active participation of students in thoughtful service. By addressing local and/or global needs students learn about their communities and themselves. SSL is a graduation requirement in the state of Maryland. Montgomery County Public Schools (MCPS) students meet the SSL graduation requirements in connection with non-profit, tax exempt organizations (see exceptions to non-profit tax exempt status in Questions About SSL on the MCPS web site)."
- Learn about the SSL graduation requirement and how to meet it in MCPS by referring to the website: www.mcpsssl.org.
- All SSL must be documented on MCPS Form 560-51, Student Service Learning Activity Verification and turned in the school-based SSL coordinator according to timelines.
- All summer SSL documentation is due to the school-based SSL coordinator no later than the last Friday in September (September 27, 2013).
- The MCPS SSL plan allows students to earn SSL hours in specific middle and high school courses, in school-sponsored clubs and organizations that have a service focus, and with approved, official nonprofit, tax exempt organizations in the community. Know the SSL guidelines and follow them!
- Summer SSL Opportunities must be pre-approved, details are available in the flyer.
Remember that SSL is a graduation requirement…but it is also an opportunity! Explore careers, learn new skills, expand understanding, and strengthen character. If you can make a difference… do it!
Contact the SSL coordinator for QOHS
Gaithersburg Student Union
The Student Union is a club for high school students. After school programs, SSL opportunities, field trips, admission to the Robertson Park Youth Center is included with your Student Union Membership! If you’re not a member, or need to renew, please complete the attached registration form and return it with membership fees to the Activity Center at Bohrer Park
Weekly meetings held on Wednesdays during lunch in the QOHS Gym!
Don’t forget to check your calendar for other after school activities! These programs AND admission to the Robertson Park Youth Center FREE with your Student Union Membership! No registration for these activities is necessary (transportation not available).
Join us on Facebook! www.facebook.com/groups/Gburg.Student.Union
Visit our website www.gaithersburgmd.gov/leisure/youth-and-teen-activities/student-union