It is the mission of the Northwest High School Counseling Department to advocate, collaborate, and facilitate individual and system change to ensure every student has the knowledge and skills necessary for academic success and personal growth. Meet our department!
Counseling Quick Links:
National College Fair Field Trip Announced! Northwest field trip date November 7!! FREE to MCPS students. Destination will be Bohrer Park Activity Center in Gaithersburg MD. Northwest bus departure time is scheduled for 9:45 am with a bus return time of 12 noon. One bus has been reserved for Northwest. Permission forms will be accepted on a first-come, first-served basis until all bus seats are filled or until student lunch on October 23rd. Permission forms are available with each student's counselor and in the College Career Information Center. Forms must be returned to the College Career Information Center. This fair is a great opportunity for juniors and seniors still making college choices!
Plan to attend these FREE workshops about preparing for college and financial aid! Workshops will be offered in both English and Spanish. October 22 at Watkins Mill HS from 12 to 3 pm | October 26 at Kennedy HS from 6 to 9 pm. Click here to download the College and Financial Aid Workshops Flyer. Events are sponsored by the National Hispanic College Fair, Inc. |web post 2 Oct 17 | |web post 2 Oct 17 |
The Northwest High School Counseling Team:
Counselor & Alpha Student Breakdown:
Counseling Support Staff:
Counseling Services & General Information:
The Counseling Department is open from 7:15 am to 3:30 pm, Monday through Friday. Please call ahead to make an appointment. You are also invited to e-mail your child's counselor at the address provided below. Counseling Services include:
Academic & Personal Counseling (long term therapy is not provided)
College & Career Planning | College Readiness Newsletter PrepTalk
Coordination of Collaborate Action Plan Meetings
Coordination of Parent/Teacher Conferences
Referral Services to Mental Health
and Drug Intervention Programs
Coordination of Advanced Placement Testing
The College Application Process at Northwest High School:
The Registrar's Office & Transcript Requests:
- College Transcript Request Form for Transcript Requests (This form includes release authorization and must be on file in the Registrar's Office.
- College Application Follow Up with Mid-Year Transcripts: You must complete a Mid-Year Transcript Request Form. If your college's delivery method is electronic, then your mid-year transcript will be sent electronically. All Common App schools require a Mid-Year transcript be sent. If your initial transcript was sent via US Mail, then follow directions on the Mid-Year Transcript form for providing an envelope to the Registrar's Office.
- Final Transcript Requests: The college you plan to attend will require a FINAL HIGH SCHOOL TRANSCRIPT. The high school Registrar (Jackie Scholl) will need an addressed, stamped (one stamp) business envelope (NOT the large application envelope) to send your final transcript to your college. Print your name in the upper left corner of the envelope. Bring your envelope to the Registrar's Office before school, during lunch or after school to process your final transcript. There is NO CHARGE for this transcript. Transcripts will be mailed in mid July. |End of Year Posting|
- Transcript & Recommendation Requests for Scholarships
- Selective Service Registration: Selective Service Registration for high school male students age 17 years and 3 months. Registration is quick, easy, and it's the law. Registrations processed on the 18th birthday.
New Student Enrollment Information:
The following links will provide new student's and parents to Northwest High School the required documents needed for enrollment:
How to Enroll Your Child in Montgomery County Public Schools:
New Student Enrollment Forms Requirement by the Northwest Counseling Department:
Additional information that may be required for Proof of Residency:
MC Home Page. Use this link to access the online application through admissions as well as Accuplacer testing information and MC financial aid. High school seniors applying to Montgomery College should plan to apply during the 'Application Fee Waiver' season (dates to be determined for the Class of 2017).
NW + MC Early College Access (Early Placement) Program Information. Earning college credit during your senior year. Application begins during senior year class registration! Click here for program details.