My name is
Stacy Dobres, and I am so happy to be the counselor at Woodlin Elementary
School. I look forward to collaborating
with Woodlin staff, and families, to ensure that all Woodlin students thrive
academically, socially, and emotionally.
I am a proud graduate of Montgomery County Public Schools. I earned my B.A, in Psychology, and
Elementary Education, from Western Maryland College, and I taught fourth and
second grades in MCPS for seven years.
After earning an M.S, in Counseling, from Johns Hopkins University, I
counseled at the middle school level in MCPS for eight years.
In my free time, I play on multiple volleyball and softball
teams, and I try to run at least one 5K race a month. Additionally, I love going to the theatre and
attending Ravens football games with my family.
I am looking forward to another great year at Woodlin Elementary School! If any questions arise, please feel free to contact me at 240-740-2820, or email me at: Stacy_K_Dobres@mcpsmd.org.
It is the counselor's role to support students so they can be their best at school, academically, socially and emotionally. These are some examples of how the counselor supports students and their families:
- Monthly Classroom Counseling Lessons – Topics include respect, friendship, and bullying.
- Individual Counseling – Students are identified through parent, teacher and self-referral.
- Counseling Groups – Groups could meet at lunch or throughout the day. Themes are determined by need at each grade level. Popular topics are social skills, study skills, self-esteem, anger management and family changes.
- Grade Level Lunch Bunches - Students have an opportunity to have lunch bunch in the counselor's office just for fun. It helps her get to know individual students better, and also provides students, who are not comfortable talking in a large group setting, a chance to express themselves in a smaller group.
- Parent Consultations: The counselor is available to meet with parents and staff (sometimes together) to discuss student and family concerns.
The counselor also coordinates other Woodlin programs such as:
- Staff Mentoring
- Red Ribbon Week
- Books and Breakfast
- Reading with Relatives
December: counselor lessons on kindness will be presented in classrooms. In November, careers such as community helpers were presented to children. October, Ms. Dobres presented personal body safety lessons, as mandated by Montgomery County Public Schools. She coordinated Red Ribbon Week, which was celebrated nationwide to highlight the importance of making healthy choices throughout one's life.