Academy of Finance
One goal of the Academy of Finance, a member program of the National Academy Foundation (NAF.org), is to prepare interested students for a career in business and finance through a combination of coursework and on-the-job experience. While studying some of the intricacies of the business world, students also learn how to manage and invest their money. This provides them with skills that will help them attain their career goals. Another objective of the Academy is to provide students who do not plan on entering the business world with the skills they will need to make their personal finances secure.
The Academy of Finance achieves its goals through the cooperative efforts of educators and local business partnerships. Through these alliances, students are given the guidance needed to make important connections between academics and life.
- The Academy of Finance is a member of and is regulated by the National Academy Foundation.
- Certificate of Completion with Special Academy Graduation Ceremony
- The Opportunity to Earn College Credits
- Problem Solving and Teamwork Skills Enhanced
- Industry Training and Connections
- Challenging and Enjoyable Course of Study
- Opportunity to experience the world of Finance through an interns
Students Interested in the Academy
- Submit a written application
- Demonstrate strength in math courses
- Submit two teacher recommendations (math and science)
- Maintain at least a 2.5 minimum unweighted GPA
- Have an excellent attendance record
- Sign a contract committing to the program
- Earn 4 Credits and complete a Finance internship
A more detailed list can be found here
- Accounting 1 A/B (Pre/Co-requisite for all other classes)
- Entrepreneurship A/B or Honors Accounting 2
- Honors Financial Planning
- Economics & the World of Finance
- Banking and Credit
- International Finance
- Paid / Compensated Summer Internship
- Grade “C” or better in appropriate college course
- Suggested 9th / 10th grade introductory courses Software Applications or Financial Management and Software Applications
Additional Requirements for the
MHS Academy of Finance
Students are required to complete a summer internship (unpaid or compensated), usually between their Junior and Senior year., (A school year internship may also qualify.) The internship must be approved by the MHS Academy Internship Coordinator.
Following completion of the internship the student must give a presentation at a conference and complete a portfolio.
Students should complete the application form and submit to Mr. Brooks. Students must inform their counselor of their application to the academy.
If you have any questions, contact Mr. Glen Brooks