About Our School
Longview was originally built in 1950 in Gaithersburg, MD. It opened as one of the first all black schools in Montgomery County and was named the Emory Grove Consolidated Colored Elementary School. The renaming committee selected Longview to represent the “long” distance traveled by the students and the beautiful view seen from the school (Sugarloaf Mountain off in the distance). The school housed a general education population until 1961 when Longview became a special education school for children with disabilities. The original building is still in use and is now known as the Emory Grove Center. In 2001, Longview moved to its current site in Germantown, Maryland.