The 10th Annual Tilden Day of Caring took place on November 22nd 2022 and was a huge success! Our 1000 Tilden students worked hard throughout the school day making meaningful contributions to people and organizations across our community. Students wrote, crafted, baked, decorated, and packaged close to 4000 tangible gifts, completed 1000 Foul Shots with P.E. classes, and walked many miles during World Studies classes. Jane Stasko, our Tilden staff sponsor, dedicates countless hours between August and December to make the magic happen. Thank you, Ms. Stasko and thank you to all the Tilden Staff and Administration for supporting this unique and powerful learning opportunity.
Hundreds of families supported the Day of Caring with donations of volunteer time before and during the event, project materials, grocery store gift cards, financial contributions, and/or food bank donations! With support of the Tilden Student Government Association (SGA) we collected over 800 pounds of food which will go a very long way to support both Tilden Families in Need and Nourish Now Food Bank during challenging times.
We are grateful for our generous corporate sponsors! Please be sure to tell them how much you appreciate their contribution to our community! Deedee Lofft at Compass Real Estate provided a $1000 donation to The Children’s Inn at NIH to fully fund our wildly popular 1000 Basketball Shots for NIH program! Eagle Bank also provided a $1000 donation to fund materials for the Day of Caring. Our other four ROCKSTAR business donors were: Stepping Stones Therapy, Heather Stoots at Long & Foster Real Estate, SNACKLINS owner Samy Kobrosly, and Bethesda Bagels. We want to be sure to express our gratitude and appreciation to each of them for their generosity.
Tilden Day of Caring Projects 2022
· 400 breakfast, lunch, and snack bags for individuals housed in emergency shelters
· 200 lavender bags for caregivers with loved ones coping with illness
· 100 toiletry bags for children in the foster care system
· 100+ affirmation bookmarks for Comfort Cases and The International Rescue Committee
· 300 decorated gift tags for A Wider Circle
· 200 thoughtful treats for children at The Children’s Inn at NIH and Ronald McDonald House
· 150 mugs with warm drinks and caring notes for Small Things Matter
· 100+ cheerful magnets for Seniors
· 60 Lego boxes for local children in need
· 500+ tissue paper flower greeting cards for residents of life care communities
· 200 colorful snowflakes to decorate recreation centers and health care facilities
· 15 lollipop trees for the counseling departments at Tilden and WJHS
· 40 sensory bags for students at Rock Terrace and residents in memory care
· 40 magnets and 50 snowman table topper lights for Meals on Wheels
· 1000 "Lifesavers" goodie bags for first responders and health care workers
· 100 Ready-to-cook soup mixes for Small Things Matter
· 200 Birthday Bags for Food & Friends to give homebound clients on their birthday
· 12 baked and decorated cakes for Birthday Cakes 4 Free
· 800 pounds of food for Tilden Families in need and Nourish Now!
· 1000 Foul Shots and many miles walked!
Congratulations, Tilden community for a job well done!
Check out these amazing organizations that Tilden Day of Caring Supports
- The Children's Inn at the National Institutes of Health (NIH) is a nonprofit that provides residential services and a wide range of programs to children, teens, and young adults with rare and serious diseases whose best hope for a diagnosis or treatment is an NIH clinical research study. https://childrensinn.org/
- Small Things Matter is a 501(3)c nonprofit founded on the idea that small acts of kindness can make a big impact on someone’s life. Their motto is “kid-powered kindness for those in need!” Small Things Matter is committed to helping others in need through our food, literacy and charity crafting programs. https://smallthingsmatter.org/
- Nourish Now is a 501c3 nonprofit food bank, specializing in food recovery and providing donations from grocers, caterers, restaurants, bakeries, and other food donors for the benefit of children, families, and the elderly, as well as shelters, food pantries, and other organizations working to end hunger. Through their programs, viable food partners are identified, and donations of food are recovered and redistributed through our network. https://nourishnow.org/
- Adventist HealthCare, based in Gaithersburg, Md., is a faith-based, not-for-profit organization of dedicated professionals who work together each day to improve the health and well-being of people and communities through a ministry of physical, mental and spiritual healing. https://www.adventisthealthcare.com/
- The mission of A Wider Circle is to end poverty. Their holistic approach integrates on-the-ground services for the creation of stable homes, workforce development, and neighborhood revitalization. They also seek to develop large-scale solutions that incorporate greater awareness and engagement by the community. https://awidercircle.org/
- Comfort Cases believes that every child deserves to feel a sense of dignity. Every child deserves to pack their belongings in a special bag that they can call their very own. Every child deserves to have a cozy new pair of pajamas, a brand new warm blanket, and a new stuffed animal to hug during the traumatic transition into foster care. https://comfortcases.org/