About Carl Sandburg Learning Center
Our Vision: Engaging and Cultivating Lifelong Learners
Our Mission: To promote the academic and social-emotional growth of all students through equitable, differentiated, and data-based instruction.
Carl Sandburg Learning Center is a small, public, elementary school dedicated to providing special education instruction to students with multiple
disabilities. It is part of the Montgomery County Public School system and is located in Rockville, Maryland, a suburb of Washington, D.C. Sandburg serves approximately 115 students in grades kindergarten through 5th grade in small, highly structured classrooms of 8 to 10 students per teacher and para eduactor support.
We, the staff of the Carl Sandburg Learning Center, believe in providing each student with challenging instruction in a nurturing and supportive environment.Students are successful when instruction is presented in a framework of fair, individualized expectations in partnership with parents and community.
The Montgomery County Public Schools curriculum is the primary curriculum of the school which is adapted to meet the instructional needs of the students. Computers are used in all classroom for instructional and research needs. The world wide web is accessible from all of the classrooms and teachers use a variety of educational technologies such as the use of Promethean boards for instructional purposes. Art, music, physical education, speech-language therapy, occupational therapy and physical therapy are provided within the context of the curriculum. Augmentative communication devices are also available for student use.
Program Components (non-exhaustive list)
- M.C.P.S. Curriculum for students with developmental disabilities
- Full day kindergarten
- Regular and adaptive physical education
- Related services integrated into classroom instructional programs
- Occupational therapy
- Physical therapy
- Speech & Language therapy
- Full-time psychologist on staff
- Health room
- Media center
- Art, Physical Education, and Music programs
- Daily Morning News Program (featuring students and staff)
- Sports Enrichment Programs including:
- PBIS (PAWS Program)
- Augmentative communication equipment and consultant
- Computers in all classrooms
- Promethean Boards in all classrooms and the Media Center
- Emphasis on parent involvement and curriculum development
- Trans-disciplinary and multi-sensory approaches to learning
- Focus on Social and Emotional teaching and learning