In September, first graders will be working on math routines including:
- counting by 1s and 10s all the way to 120
- identifying one more and one less than a number, as well as ten more and ten less than a given number
- write, draw, and represent numbers in a variety of ways
- the two digits in a two-digit number represent amounts of tens and ones
- ten ones can be thought of as a bundle of ten
- compare two two-digit numbers using the greater than, less than, and equals signs
We will be using a variety of tools such as a number
line, 120 chart, tens frame, counters, base ten blocks, and Digi-blocks to help
the students demonstrate proficiency with these concepts.
This month, students will be focusing on many indicators in reading!
- use a variety of text features to locate facts and information in a text.
- participate in collaborative conversations with peers in large and small groups
- ask questions to clear up any confusion while reading a text
- determine the meaning on an unknown word by using clues nearby or in the picture
- identify real-life connections between words and their uses.
- use words and phrases learned through conversations and while reading.
- ask and answer questions about a story
- describe the characters, setting, and major events in a story using key details
- explain the difference between fiction and non-fiction
- use illustrations to describe the characters, setting, and major events
First graders are so excited to be authors this year! Here are the indicators we'll be working on in writing during September:
Students will be writing a narrative story in which they record at least two events. They will provide details regarding what happened, use transition words, and provide closure. Students will conference with their teacher and peers to gain feedback on how to improve their writing. Students will begin to learn how to revise and edit their papers for correct capitalization, punctuation, spelling, and grammar. We are so excited to watch our students grow into wonderful authors!
First Graders will study patterns in words. They will be assessed on their knowledge. Students will study new words in a variety of
activities that will increase their abilities to read and write words
independently. Spelling will be an in-school
activity on a two-week cycle throughout the year.
program begins with the study of plants and animals. In September, our students will be scientists. They will be able to:
- identify the features of living plants and animals
- identify the basic needs of plants and animals
- describe the ways that people and animals bring the things they need from their environment into their bodies
- label the parts of a plant and identify how those parts help the plant
, students will be learning about rules and responsibilities. Students will be able to:
- explain the importance of rules
- explain how rules promote fairness and responsibility at school and in the community
- identify leaders in the school and in the community. Students will also recognize how leaders keep people safe.
- describe the rights and responsibilities of being a participating member of the family, school, and neighborhood
- demonstrate ways people work together to maintain a clean and safe home, school, and neighborhood environment
Information regarding field trips we will be taking this year will come home as those details evolve. Stay tuned!
Learning Skills and Behavior
The first grade teachers would like to thank the families of our students for taking the time to discuss at home our classroom rules.
Each Marking Period, your child will be assessed on:
- completing tasks
- following rules
Additionally, during Marking Period 1, your child will be assessed on:
- Analysis: breaking down a whole into parts that may not be immediately obvious and examining the parts so that the structure of the whole is understood.
- Collaboration: working effectively and respectfully to reach a group goal.
Other Important Information
There is no school on Monday, September 4th
There is no school September 10th
and September 19th.
Instructional Learning Sites
Poetry 4 Kids
Penguin Party Addition