Hello Lakewood community, this is Principal Berner with information for the school week of Monday, February 18, 2019, through Friday, February 22nd:
Just a reminder, tomorrow, Monday, February 18th, is the President’s Day holiday. All MCPS schools and offices will be closed for the day. Students are to return to school on Tuesday, February 19th.
**Dates for you to put on your calendars:
- Friday, February 22nd, is Fitness Friday! Wear your favorite fitness gear to school!
- Black History Month presentation: Everyone is invited to the presentation, “Each One, Pull One Into the Sun”, sponsored by the Wootton HS Black Student Union on February 27, 2019. The presentation begins at 6:30 p.m. in the Wootton Commons, Wootton HS.
- Multicultural Night is around the corner! Please ensure that your calendar is marked for Friday night,February 22, 7-8:30 p.m. (6:00-7 is set up) for an evening of food and fun! Our theme this year is “Embracing Our Diversity”. DO plan to sign up to bring a dish that represents your country/cultural background or even a region in the USA you are from! We want to celebrate everyone! If you plan to participate, please return your completed form with information to your child’s teacher.
**Here is where we need assistance and volunteers:
- 2 adults and 3 students to help setting up (6-7 pm)
- 2-3 students on the paper products table
- One adult helping with the sound system
- One adult and 1 student helping with the cultural show
- 2 adults and 3 student to help clean-up (8:30-9 pm)
If you have any questions, can volunteer, or know of students who need community service hours, please contact Ariana Audisio at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Save the date! Keep Friday, April 12, 2019, open on your calendars for Lakewood’s 50th birthday celebration dance and silent auction. Come dance, purchase amazing silent auction items, celebrate Lakewood’s 50th birthday, and spend the evening with friends. Fun for the whole family. More details to come!
- Elementary School Language Immersion Programs: Applications for elementary school language immersion programs in Montgomery County Public Schools (MCPS) are now available. The application deadline for the 2019-2020 school year is Friday, April 26, 2019. For more information, parents can call the Division of Consortia Choice and Application Program Services (DCCAPS) at 240-740-2540.
**News That You Can Use:
- Fifth Grade Students Not Articulating to Robert Frost Middle School for the 2019-2020 School Year:
If your 5th grade child(ren) will not be articulating to Robert Frost Middle School for the 2019-2020 school year, please send a letter to the office or e-mail Mrs. Brown, registrar, at the following email address: Andrea_L_Lyn-Brown@mcpsmd.org. The letter should include the following information:
- Student’s full name
- Current grade
- Student ID number
- New school’s name and address
- If this is due to a family move please provide the new address.
Please be sure to sign and date the letter. If you have any questions, please call the main office at (301) 279-8465. Thank you!
- Emergency Weather Make-Up Schedule: Inclement weather has forced MCPS to close schools on three days. The 2018–2019 MCPS school calendar includes 182 instruction days, two more than the minimum required in Maryland. As a result of these closures, MCPS will need to use one designated make-up day to ensure it meets the state-required number of school days. The school year will now be extended to June 14, 2019. A blurb is provided below.
- MCPS Winter Weather information:
As we continue on into winter, we may be experiencing delayed openings and potentially more days when school will be closed and need everyone to be monitoring the news for school closures and delays updates. MCPS offers numerous ways for parents to learn about school closures, delayed openings, and early dismissals due to inclement weather. Sign up for AlertMCPS and receive text messages or e-mails from MCPS during weather-related emergencies and other major events that impact school system operations. Parents can also sign up to receive alerts specific to our school by visitinghttp://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/emergency/alertmcps.aspx. You can also follow MCPS on Twitter:http://twitter.com/mcps or @MCPS Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/mcpsmd/
** Thought for the Week:
“Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome while trying to succeed.” ― Booker T. Washington
Have a nice day off, see everyone on Tuesday!
Deb Berner, Principal
Lakewood Elementary School