Middle Years Programme
Mrs. Donna Kleffman, Middle Years Programme Coordinator
Newport Mill Middle School is proud to be an IB World Schools authorized to offer the Middle Years Programme to our 6th-8th students. As an IB World School, we will be joining an international community committed to providing challenging academic standards and promoting global understanding. For those of you new to our community, below is a general description of the IB Middle Years Programme.
The Middle Years Programme (MYP) is one of three programs developed by the International Baccalaureate Organization. It is was developed as a five-year program designed for students in grades 6-10. However, it allows for two-year or three-year models to address the needs of two- and three-year middle schools (Newport Mill Middle School follows the three-year model). While the MYP shares common educational principles with the IB Primary Years Programme (K-5) and the IB Diploma Programme (11-12), each program is separate and distinct. The overall goal of the MYP is to encourage students to become life long learners, critical thinkers and responsible global citizens.
The fundamental concepts of the program include:
- Connections among subjects and relating in-school learning to the outside world
- Intercultural awareness, or the appreciation of world cultures, including one’s own culture
- Effective communication skills, including the study of foreign language.
MYP Curriculum Framework
MYP classes at NMMS implement the same curriculum as other MCPS middle schools. Teachers present this curriculum focused through the MYP philosophy and framework which includes:
- An awareness of international and cultural influences related to the topic of study
- An emphasis on inter-disciplinary instruction
- An emphasis on the process of learning
- An emphasis on the development of critical thinking skills
- An emphasis on independent work habits and research skills
- An emphasis on student reflection
Program Implementation and Future Plans
In accordance with IB procedures, implementation of the Middle Years Programme occurs in grades 6-8. Newport Mill Middle School is authorized by the International Baccalaureate to offer the Middle Years Programme to grades 6-8 students. This year’s 8th grade students will participate in 8th Grade Exit Interviews to demonstrate their understanding of the MYP over their three years of middle school.
Further information regarding the Middle Years Programme will continue to be made available through parent meetings, the PTSA Newsletter, and the Newport Mill website. You may also wish to visit the International Baccalaureate Organization website at www.ibo.org.