We are musicians who like to listen to music, discuss music and create music. We know that classroom music experiences:
- let us explore a variety of music genres and styles
- help us to make aesthetic judgments
- connect us to the past and other cultures
- allow us to uniquely express our own ideas and emotions.
We will be inspired to be life-long lovers of music, performers, and consumers of music by following "The Resnik Way" each day.
Ms. Zabel Mr. Báez
Ms. Zabel has been teaching music for many years and is absolutely delighted to be the full-time music teacher at Resnik. She especially loves working with the chorus students. In her spare time, she enjoys taking classes regarding Orff Schulwerk, World Drumming, and ballroom dancing.
Mr. Báez teaches music at Resnik on Mondays and Tuesdays. He is also the music teacher at Waters Landing in Germantown. He holds a Bachelor of Music degree from the Conservatory of Music of Puerto Rico and a Master of Music degree from the University of North Texas. When he's not teaching, Mr. Báez enjoys time with his wife and two children.
Chorus Concert Field Trip to Magruder High School
- Wednesday, May 25th the Resnik Chorus will perform at Magruder High School. Make sure to turn in your fee and permission slip (front AND back) by Friday, April 20, 2018 to Ms. Zabel.
Chorus Bowling Trip
- Monday, May 21st at 7:00 p.m. in the Resnik All-Purpose Room
- The Chorus and Instrumental groups will present their final concert of the year. All families and friends are welcome to attend!!
- (Rain date - Tuesday, May 29, 2018)
- Tuesday, June 5th the Resnik Chorus will have a singing celebration and head out to bowl and have lunch. Make sure to turn in your fee and permission slip (front AND back) by Wednesday, May 30, 2018 to Ms. Zabel.
Permission Slip (FRONT) Permission Slip (BACK)
The Sweetest Sounds
- The lower grade students will present a brief "sharing" on Wednesday, May 30th in the Resnik All-Purpose Room. This is an opportunity for families and the community to see and hear all that the students have been learning about the past year.
2nd Grade: 9:15 - 9:45 a.m.
1st Grade: 10:00 - 10:30 a.m.
Kindergarten: 10:45 - 11:15 a.m.
- Chorus will sing at this momentous ceremony - TBD!
- All 4th grade chorus members must be in complete uniform to perform.
- The 4th and 5th grade sing together and the 4th grade sing a special piece to send our 5th graders off with best wishes!
- Reading Music: Produce sounds in response to icons representing long and short, loud and soft sounds.
- Performing Music: Perform singing games and finger plays.
- Responding to Music: Identify repeated sections in music.
- Creating Music: Arrange sounds to enhance a melody.
- Reading and Notating Music: Read icons for quarter rests, la, so, and mi; notate simple rhythm and pitch patterns.
- Performing Music: Perform songs and tonal patterns.
- Analyzing and Responding to Music: Describe musical contrasts using music terminology.
- Creating Music: Improvise with the voice; compose and notate rhythm patterns; arrange sounds.
- Performing Music: Perform songs and dances of diverse styles, periods, and cultures; sing with appropriate vocal technique and intonation.
3rd Grade Whack-A-Note
- Creating Music: Arrange, compose and notate ostinati; improvise with the voice.
- Reading and Notating Music: Sing with appropriate vocal technique; perform songs and dances of various periods and cultures.
- Analyzing and Responding to Music: Identify diverse styles of music.
- Analyzing and Responding to Music: Conduct meter of three and four; identify differences in performances.
- Creating Music: Composition - notate melodies; improvise with instruments.
- Music Notation: Melodic.
- Music Reading: Melodic and rhythmic.
- Vocal technique: Expressive qualities.
- Performing a varied repertoire of songs.
- Creating Music: Composition and music notation of original melodies; improvise with instruments; improvise with the voice.
- Reading and Notating Music: Music reading - melodic.
- Vocal technique: Perform partner songs and descants, ensemble performance, diction and expression
- Playing technique: World instruments.
Cool YouTube Videos:
Vivaldi, Winter, Four Seasons (Allegro), Beethoven, Symphony 7, Allegretto, mvt 2
with animated score
Bobby McFerrin Demonstrates JULIAN SMITH - Techno Jeep
the Power of the Pentatonic Scale
Places to Visit: ARTSEDGE/Perfect Pitch
Classics for Kids
Baltimore Symphony Orchestra
National Philharmonic Orchestra
Black Rock Center for the Arts
Children's Chorus of Washington