About Galway ES → Policies and Procedures
Policies and Procedures
Galway Discipline Philosophy
We believe that the most important function of our school is learning. Our goal is to provide a fun, safe, and educational atmosphere at Galway Elementary School. Discipline will strengthen the positive behaviors of children to help them to grow socially and appropriately cope with life’s experiences in the future.
The discipline policy supports learning and is a balance between the rights and responsibilities of students and to inform students, staff and parents/guardians of the expectations for behavior at school.
Respect is an important pillar of character that all Galway students should understand:
- Respect For Oneself - Each person will avoid situations that could bring about physical and/or emotional harm to themselves.
- Respect For The Rights Of Others - Each person will avoid situations that could bring about physical and/or emotional harm to others. Each person will show respect towards others in words and actions.
- Respect For Property - Each person will use materials and property in a manner in which they were intended to be used.
Dear Parent(s) or Guardian(s),
If you are planning on observing or visiting your child's classroom, please notify the teacher with a phone call, note or email prior to coming in. There are some instructional times that are not the best times to have visitors i.e. student's taking tests. Student instruction is a primary focus for our school and the least amount of distractions to instruction, the better. When you come into school, sign in at the main office and put on a visitor's sticker. Thank you.
The Galway Five School Rules
- Respect others and their property.
- Raise their hand to speak.
- Be where they belong.
- Follow directions and work quietly.
- Line up and walk silently in the halls.
Galway Rights and Responsibilities
Students: Students have the right to a public school education in an environment conducive to learning. They are expected to do the following:
- Attend school and classes regularly, to arrive on time, and to fulfill to the best of their abilities the Montgomery County Public Schools (MCPS) objectives.
- Understand and observe the rules of the school.
Parents: Parents have the right to expect that the school will address the learning needs of their children. Parents are expected to do the following:
- Send their children to school regularly, on time, and prepared to learn.
- Respond to communications from the school pertaining to their children.
- Understand and support the fair, consistent administration of school rules and policies.
Staff: Staff have the right to work in an atmosphere of respect with the support and guidance of the administration in maintaining high professional standards. Staff are expected to do the following:
- Work with students so that they understand the objectives and what they are expected to learn.
- Encourage and help the students understand and support the rules of the school.
- Know and enforce consistently and fairly the rules and policies of the school.
- Maintain communication between home and school.
Administration: The administration, with the cooperation of staff, students, and parents, will work to achieve the objectives of MCPS and Galway Elementary. The administrators are expected to do the following:
- Make known and interpret to students, parents, and staff the MCPS discipline policies and the local school discipline policy.
- Implement specific plans for effective student, parent, and staff participation in the formulation and review of the local school discipline policy.
- Guide and support all building personnel in maintaining appropriate and effective discipline.
- Confer with staff, students, and parents on discipline matters.
Download a complete version of the Galway Discipline Policy