This is Ann Dolan Principal at Gaithersburg Middle School.
Follow Principal Dolan for daily highpoints: on Twitter: @Gaithersburg_MS
Please refer to our website with more details about our upcoming events this week: http://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/schools/gaithersburgms/
- The GMS Back to School Cookout was a huge success!
- Our students completed Measures of Academic Progress in Reading (MAP-R) testing.
- GMS continues to celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month. Thanks to Ms. Scher and Mr. Padilla and our students for the cultural decorations in our lobby.
Attached is the flyer for parents to sign up for daily communication emails from the PTA. This will be our only communication platform from the PTA starting January 2nd.
Support our students and projects! Our goal is to raise $8,000 for student activities, swim class lifeguard fees, student’s awards, and other projects that benefit our students. The GMS fundraiser is underway.
Students that sell 6 or more items will be able to attend the Xtreme Team Dunk Show in November. Period 1 classes with 35 or more items will be able to attend as a class. The period 1 class with the most sales also gets a donut party. All order forms and money are due on Wednesday, September 26th. Please have your child bring in the order form and money in the student collection envelope on Wednesday. Envelopes should be sealed and students should write their name, grade and period 1 teacher on the envelope. It’s not too late to get some last minute sales in. Online orders are accepted as well, please see our website for more information. Shop online at www.gaschoolstore.com and use the GMS code: 1067073
Thank you for supporting our fundraiser.
Personal Body Safety Lessons
Tuesday, September 25 our school counselors will be presenting a lesson on the topic of child abuse and neglect. This lesson is known as the Personal Body Safety Lesson and our goal is for students to develop knowledge, decision making skills and behaviors that promote safe living at home, school and the community. You will find more information on the counseling website regarding this lesson as well as resources for parents. Please contact the counseling office, if you have any questions.
All SSL Forms for service completed in the summer, please turn into Ms. Mesina in room 101 by Friday, September 28th. Any SSL forms for current service hours, can be dropped off to Ms. Mesina's mailbox.
6th grade Student Government Association SGA
6th grade SGA Campaign week will run from September 24-28th.
GMS After School Activities
- FALL INTRAMURAL ACTIVITIES-Attention all 6th 7th and 8th grade students interested in participating in after school sports programs. We have two fall intramural activities beginning next week. Intramural volleyball will be held on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays after school with Ms. Barnes beginning September 25th. Intramural badminton and ping pong will be held on Wednesdays and Thursdays after school with Mr. Frawley beginning September 26th. Permission forms are available in the PE locker rooms and health classroom. See Ms. Barnes, Mr. Frawley, or Mrs. Evans for more information.
- CHEERLEADING TRYOUTS-Cheerleading tryouts will be held on Wednesday, September 26th. If you are interested in trying out for cheerleading, please see Ms. Dougherty in room 403 to pick up a packet that needs to be signed and returned prior to tryouts.
- The Team of Stars Drama Club will have its first meeting on Tuesday, September 25 right after-school. Registration Forms are available in the office. This Club meets 2 days per week: Tuesdays’ and Thursdays. Don't miss this exciting opportunity to take part in a school theater production with really fun instructors!
- Attention Students: The first meeting for the Project Change Service Club is scheduled for Wednesday September 26 after-school. By participating in this club you will earn SSL Hours for brainstorming, designing and implementing service projects for causes that concern you.
Monday, September 24, 2018
- 8:15-10:15 am MAP-M (Measures of Academic Progress in Math) Testing
- 5:00-7:00 pm Fundraiser for Grade 8-Chipotle Restaurant Frederick Road
Come out and support the 8th grade team and enjoy delicious Mexican cuisine at Chipotle on Monday, September 24th between 5 and 9 at 564 N. Frederick Ave (next to Bed Bath and Beyond). Simply make your purchase and be sure to mention you are there for the GMS fundraiser and part of your purchase will go towards the 8th grade fund. Please download the flyer for more info or see Mrs. Larcamp or Sr. Padilla if you have any questions. Thank you!
Tuesday, September 25, 2018
- 8:15-10:15 am MAP-M Testing (Measures of Academic Progress in Math)
- 4:20 pm Activity Bus
- 6:00 pm Model United Nations Spain Parent Interest Meeting with Ms. Sanders in 701
Wednesday, September 26, 2018
- Viking Time 7
- 4:20 pm Activity Bus
Thursday, September 27, 2018
- Viking Time 1
- 11:15 am-1:15 pm Book Wars Interest Meeting-During All Lunch Periods-Media Center
- 4:20 pm Activity Bus
Friday, September 28, 2018
- Viking Time 2
- Documentation for Student Service Learning (SSL) service performed from June 2, 2018 through the summer is due to SSL coordinator-Ms. Mesina
October 1-24, 2018 Music Department Fundraiser-Yankee Candle Sales
October 2, 3,4 4:20 pm Activity Bus
October 3, 2018 10:40 am-11:10 am SGA Grade 6 Speeches and Voting
October 4, 2018 3:30 pm Boys’ Softball AWAY GMS @ Redland MS
3:30 pm Girls’ Softball HOME Redland MS @ GMS
3:30 pm Co-ed Cross County AWAY GMS @ Redland MS
October 5, 2018 8:00 am-12:30 pm Student Picture Day
12:30 pm Early Dismissal
4:00 pm Interims Due
October 8, 2018 MCPS Open House
October 9, 10, 11 4:20 pm Activity Bus
October 11, 2018 5:00 pm Guys of GMS Induction Ceremony Cafeteria
1819_GMSParentComm.pdf (69.4 KB)
9.21.18_After_School_Transportation_and_Activity_schedule.pdf (448.8 KB)