Telephone: 301-649-8276 (LAD Program) | 301-649-8514 (ED Program)
Welcome to the Special Education Department at Northwood High School. We offer two services. The first service is the Learning and Academic Disabilities (LAD). Mrs. Katharine Scheig is the RT. The second service is Emotional Disabilities (ED). Mr. Anthony Dickens serves as the Program Specialist. As a department it is our goal to help our students to be successful and confident members of our community. We work very closely with the Guidance Counselors, teachers, administrators, Wellness Center, and the CSACC program at Northwood.
How to Address an Issue About My Child?
If you have a question regarding your child, you should first contact the case manager. The best way to reach the case managers is by email. If you would like to call, please dial (301) 649-8276 (LAD) and (301) 649-8514 (ED). Please understand that when you call this number you will not immediately access the case manager, but a message will be taken and delivered to them.
How Can I Stay on Top of Grades?
Northwood uses the Edline program. Each student and family is given a password to access the Edline system. Using Edline you can monitor your child’s grades on homework, classwork, and assessments. If you are unable to log in to Edline, please feel free to contact your child’s guidance counselor or case manager.
What If I Have Other Concerns?
If you have other concerns regarding your child, please feel free to let the case manager know.
The following is a breakdown of actions that students in each grade should take.
9, 10, and 11th Graders:
- Make appointments with their counselors to review their academic progress and plan for next year.
- Consider career and technology course offerings at the Thomas Edison High School of Technology. (Students/Parents should visit or attend an Open House).
- Register for the SAT/ACT.
- Visit the SSL Coordinator to get the approved Student Service Learning activities list.
- Complete all college applications and return them. Attend college visits.
- Register to technical colleges.
- Complete SSL hours.
- Complete graduation requirements.
- Pay graduation fees.
If students and parents have additional questions about Transition Services, they should access the MCPS Transition Services site at: http://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/departments/special-education/programs-services/transition-services-unit.aspx
SPECIAL EDUCATION - ED PROGRAM - 301-649-8514
SPECIAL EDUCATION - LAD PROGRAM - 301-649-8275