Damascus High School - Athletics
Athletic Director: Joe Doody 240-207-2388 or email : Joseph_J_Doody@mcpsmd.org
All students who wish to participate in
a sport are required to have an annual physical exam and pay an extracurricular
activity user fee. Physical exam forms are available in the main
office, the athletic director’s office, or on the website. If the ECA fee is
not paid, a student will not be permitted to participate in any extracurricular
activity. In addition, students who have financial
obligations will not be permitted to participate in extracurricular activities
until these obligations are paid.
2016-17 DHS Coaches and Contact Info
Testing for Athletes:
year, U.S. emergency departments (EDs) treat an estimated 173,285 sports and
recreation-related traumatic brain injuries (TBIs), including concussions,
among children and adolescents, from birth to 19 years. In order to help
improve concussion diagnoses and treatment in sports, all Montgomery County
public high schools are implementing baseline testing for athletes for the
2013/2014 school year. Adventist Rehabilitation Hospital of Maryland has been
selected to provide this testing in 13 Montgomery County High Schools,
including Damascus High School.
testing is a pre-season exam conducted by trained professionals to assess an
athlete's cognitive functions including learning and memory skills, ability to
concentrate and problem solving skills. In the event that the athlete suffers a
concussion, the results from these tests can be used in comparison with similar
post-injury tests. Scheduling of baseline testing is handled through the
school’s athletic department.
schedule your baseline testing, please contact the Damascus High School Athletic
Director, Joe Doody at 301-253-7050.
you or your child experiences a head injury, Adventist Rehabilitation Hospital of
Maryland offers a weekly concussion clinic for adolescents and adults, ages 14
and older. To schedule an appointment in Adventist Rehabilitation Hospital’s
concussion program, call 240-864-6299.
See informational flyers here:
Baseline Concussion (English)
Baseline Concussion (Spanish)
2015-2016 Parent Packet - Concussion Baseline Testing
Athletics Forms you must have completed in order to
1. The "Parent-Student Permission/Drug & Alcohol/Residency Athletic Participation Form" - Parent-Student Permission/Drug & Alcohol/Residency Athletic Participation Form A copy of the "Parent-Student Permission/Drug & Alcohol/Residency Athletic Participation Form" needs to be turned in at tryouts for each sport each season. You will want to make 3 copies of this form, so that if you child decides to play more than 1 season, you will have it for the next team they will try out for.
2. The "MCPS Medical Card" - MCPS Medical Card A copy of the Medical Card needs to be turned in at tryouts for each sport each season. You will want to make 3 copies of this form, so that if you child decides to play more than 1 season, you will have it for the next team they will try out for.
3. The "Physical Evaluation Form (Physical Form)" - Athletics Preparticipation Physical Evaluation Please make copies to keep at home. A copy of the Health Inventory needs to be turned in at tryouts for each sport each season. You will want to make 3 copies of this form, so that if you child decides to play more than 1 season, you will have it for the next team they will try out for.
If you intend to use your own heathcare provider to obtain the health inventory, we strongly encourage you to do so in the months of June and July. You will want to schedule it as soon as possible, we have had several athletes who were unable to try out because they did not get an appointment with their doctor in time to get the forms filled out. Some providers will only perform 1 physical every 366 days, so if you have your physical done on August 14th, you may find that the next year, you cannot schedule a physical until after tryouts start (therefore missing tryouts). Please complete your Health Inventory during the months of June and July.
4. (If necessary) The "Authorization to Administer Prescribed Medication" if your child may need to take medicine at school/practice/contest - Authorization to Administer Prescribed Medication A copy of the "Authorization to Administer Prescribed Medication"needs to be turned in at tryouts for each sport each season. You will want to make 3 copies of this form, so that if you child decides to play more than 1 season, you will have it for the next team they will try out for.
5. You must have paid the "Extra Curricular Activity (ECA) fee" - send in form and check or pay online. -ECA Form or Pay ECA fee online This is only paid once a year, before an athlete begins the first season of the school year.
6. Transportation Form- If your child's team will be traveling by car to practice or contests, you need to fill out this form and return it to the coach. Car Transportation Form Check with the coach to see if you need to fill out this form.
If you are interested in playing sports in college, find more information at http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/ncaa/academics/index.html
Would you like to get involved in supporting our Athletic program, the visit our Booster's Club website for more information. Please consider joining the Booster's Club, the Athletic Department depends upon you for support.
Students will receive their "letters" from their coach/sponsor. Students may order a letterman/letterwoman's jacket from any vendor they choose. Some local options for ordering your jacket are:
18952 Bonanza Way
Gaithersburg, MD 20878
Middletown Sportsland Inc
108 West Main St.
Middletown, MD 21769
- Men's JV Basketball
- Men's Varsity Basketball
- Indoor Track
- Women's JV Basketball
- Women's Varsity Basketball
- JV Wrestling
- Varsity Wrestling
- Swimming and Diving