Class Assignments, Exercises and Audition Selections
IB Music Assignments and Exercises
Instructor: Mr. Marshall White
Jazz Ensemble 2014-15 Audition Instructions and Selections
Auditions are approximately ten minutes each. Download the Audition 2014-15 Preparation Instructions and go to the weblink Auditions Selections to access excerpts of the selections.
1. Prepared piece 1: "Grease" in swing style by Jim Snidero. Prepare the entire piece. At the audition, an excerpt of the selection will be heard. Be conscious of rhythms, articulations, tempo, dynamics and style.
2. Prepared piece 2: "On the Street Where You Live" in a medium swing shuffle style by Roger Holmes. Prepare measures 1-76 At the audition, an excerpt of the selection will be heard. Be conscious of rhythms, articulations, tempo, dynamics and style.
3. Play the song "Slow Blues in F" from Volume 2, Nothing But Blues by Jamey Aebersold. All instrumental parts except drums should prepare the melody. Improvisation is optional. If you’re uncomfortable with improvising, no penalty will be assessed.
4. All players, except drums, will be asked to perform a major scale containing at least two sharps or two flats or up to four sharps or four flats, and a chromatic scale to deomonstrate range and tone quality.
5. A short sight reading excerpt will be required of all students auditioning.
6. Percussionists will be asked to demonstrate various styles of drum set playing such as swing, shuffle, funk, bossa nova, and other Latin rhythms. The performer will be asked to play four measures of regular time keeping, followed by a two to four measure break of a drum fill (solo), and then followed by time keeping. In addition, please bring brushes to demonstrate this technique. For "Grease", percussionists will be asked to play along with the recording in the background.