Return to the Parent Handbook Page.
You must notify the school any day that your child will be absent. Our preference is that you complete the “Report a Student Absence” Form on the Wayside website. You may also call the school office at 240-740-0240. When you report the absence, be prepared to tell us your child's name, his/her teacher, and the reason for the absence. If we do not receive a call from a parent, the absence or tardiness will be considered unexcused.
Excused absences are: student illness, death in the family, medical appointment and observance of a religious holiday. An unexcused absence or tardy would be a family trip, childcare problem, oversleeping, nonschool-related activity, traffic, or a missed bus. Any absence for which a written explanation is not submitted will be recorded as unexcused.
Attendance Policy by the Maryland State Department of Education:
- Students will be recorded as A.M. Absent if they arrive at school more than two hours late.
- Students will be recorded as P.M. Absent if they leave school more than two hours early.
- Students will be recorded as either A.M. Absent or P.M. Absent if they are absent from school for more than two hours, but less than four hours during the school day.
- Students will be recorded as full-day absent, if they are present for less than two hours of the school day.
- Students will be recorded as full-day present, if they are present for more than four hours of the school day.
School begins at 9:25a.m. Students who arrive late must be accompanied by an adult and must stop at the school office for a tardy slip or they will be marked absent. When your child arrives late, the opportunity for an unhurried and organized start to the day is lost and it is very disruptive to the teacher and the class.
Students may earn Attendance Awards for Perfect Attendance (NO absences or tardies) or Excellent Attendance (3 or less absences).
MCPS Policy/Regulation on Student Attendance can be found at https://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/departments/policy/pdf/jeara.pdf