IB Programs Main Page → Middle Years Programme → Personal Project
2018-19 Personal Project Information
The information in this section applies to students currently enrolled as 10th graders at RM. This section will update with information throughout the year.
- Students should make sure that they are enrolled in the MYP Research Seminar course and MYMCPS Classroom. If you are not enrolled in the class and classroom, please contact Ms. Clarkson.
- The current student handbook for the Personal Project will be posted here in the last week of September, once dates are finalized.
- The 10th grade parent meeting will address in detail the requirements and timelines for this project.
What is a Personal Project?
Have you ever wanted to build a musical instrument? Do you have a secret passion to write a play? Now is your chance! The Personal Project is your opportunity to do what you want to do; to show the skills you have developed over the years in your subjects and through approaches to learning (ATL), and to apply them to a chosen goal.
The personal project holds a place of special importance in the MYP, and so it should be clearly focused on an issue or theme closely related to one of the areas of interaction.
Remember, you will be working on this project for an extended period of time, so it needs to be something you really want to do.
Whatever type of personal project you decide on, it should:
Your project must not:
- have a clear and achievable goal
- be focused through one of the Global Contexts
- allow you to express a truly personal message
- be the result of your initiative, creativity, and ability to organize and plan
- reflect your special interests, hobbies, special abilities, or concerns about particular issues
- deal with a topic or area to which you are committed
- be entirely your own work – authenticity is very important and you will be required to sign a document that the personal project is your own work.
- be part of any assessed course work
- take over your whole personal and social life, nor interfere with your studies - it should take approximately 25 hours to complete
- be too closely linked to any specific subject.
Why do a Personal Project?
The personal project is a culminating event in your time in the MYP. During this time you will have developed in many ways and learned about your topic and your chosen Global Context. If you choose the right personal project, it will give you the opportunity to share with others something that is of great interest to you as an individual but that also shows some of what you have learned as a result of being in the MYP.
What Type of Personal Project Can I Do?
Depending on your goal, you might choose one of the following types of projects:
- an original work of art (for example, visual, dramatic or performance);
- a written piece of work on a special topic (for example, literary, social, psychological or anthropological);
- a piece of literary fiction (for example, creative writing);
- an original science experiment;
- an invention or specially designed object or system; or
- the presentation of a developed business, management or organizational plan, that is, for an entrepreneurial business or project, a special event, or the development of a new student or community organization.
All personal projects will include a structured report, written or video.
Questions about projects should be addressed to Ms. Clarkson.