An internship is any carefully monitored work or service experience in which a student has intentional learning goals and reflects actively on what she or he is learning throughout the experience. A student internship is a paid or unpaid, career-focused activity during which a young person becomes directly involved for a defined
period of time in business, government, industry, research, or social service. This experience
- complements the student’s career goals and is managed under supervision
- is an opportunity for a student to attain first-hand knowledge about a career or
field of study
- provides an opportunity for a student to apply the skills obtained in school to real work experiences while learning additional skills associated with the workplace
- allows students to experience options they may not have considered and make thoughtful decisions about continued education or full-time work
- allows student to reflect on their experience to help them make meaningful and thoughtful decisions about their post-secondary career plan.
Thousands of interns around MCPS have received experience in numerous career fields, and their evaluations of the experience have been overwhelmingly positive. Internship students will either participate in a double or triple period experience. Double period interns will be expected to complete 150 hours per semester (approximately 9 hours per week) and triple period interns will be expected to complete 225 hours per semester (approximately 13 hours per week). Rockville internship students will need to provide their own transportation from RHS to their internship site and must be highly motivated and able to keep up with assignments outside of the classroom.