The John F. Kennedy High School PTSA (Parent Teacher Student Association) is a vibrant and hard-working organization that provides support to students and staff throughout the year. All parents, guardians, students, and staff members are invited to join. Meetings are held monthly, during which we offer valuable information about school operating issues, fundraising, staff appreciation, and much more.
Parent-teacher conferences are coming to high school! On November 12th, Kennedy High School will host roundhouse forum parent-teacher conferences to allow parents to meet with any of their child's teachers. This is an excellent opportunity for parents and teachers, and the first time it will be offered to all grades in high school. We would like to show our appreciation by providing dinner for the teachers at 4:45 p.m. Please sign up to help here, or email Ms. Wohlfarth directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2018-19 Executive Board
The 2017-18 Executive Board will be elected at the first meeting on Tuesday, October 18th. Please see below for the full calendar of meeting dates and presentations.
President: Amie Wohlfarth
Vice President: OPEN
Secretary: Ranell Lewis (temporary; permanent person needed)
PR and Communications: OPEN
Treasurer: Kelley Eiskant (nominated)
Membership Chair: Carol Monyeh
NAACP Rep: Anestine LaFond
Staff Appreciation: Sara Pullen and Anestine LaFond
Health Food Chairperson(s): Gail Raskine and Cynthia Clarke
Post Prom Chairs: Kelley Eiskant and Amie Wohlfarth
Fundraising Chair: OPEN (multiple positions)
MCCPTA Rep: Janie Parrott
Staff Appreciation Chair: Sara Pullen
Listserv Manager: OPEN
Cultural Ambassadors: OPEN
2017-18 in Review
Want to know what the PTSA brought to you this year?
We brought you information about:
- MyMCPS Classroom
- College and career readiness
- School safety and security
- Parent information for the senior class
- Projects sponsored by LTI
- Details on SAT Day
We have sponsored:
- Step Afrika!
- An assembly on awareness of the dangers of drinking and driving
- Post Prom
- Community outreach with the Wheaton Volunteer Rescue Squad, including a car wash fundraiser and the annual Christmas tree sales
- Staff appreciation throughout the year
We have participated in:
- Back to School Night
- Family Markets
- Family Night Out events
- Board of Education meetings
- MCCPTA meetings
MANY THANKS to everyone who served on the JFK PTSA Board, multitudes of staff members, and countless student and adult volunteers, all of whom made our efforts possible. The PTSA is run on volunteer power! 2018-19 Board elections will be held in September 2018—please consider joining us! Contact Amie Wohlfarth, PTSA President, at email@example.com.
Giant A+ Bucks
Register your Giant Card and earn A+ School Rewards points for Kennedy High School every time you shop. Whether it's books, computers, instruments or sporting goods, the school can use the money earned through A+ School Rewards to buy what we need today and build a better tomorrow. Register your card today on the A+ Rewards page using JFK #00856!
Post Prom Coordinator: Ranell Lewis
One of the most important tasks of the PTSA is the planning and execution of the annual Post Prom Party. The Post Prom Party is a fun drug- and alcohol-free party at a safe location immediately following the Kennedy Prom. The Post Prom is for all Kennedy seniors and their dates - all seniors are welcome regardless of whether they attend Prom. Activities include game tables, tattoo artists, a photo booth, tables of food, and much more. This event can only be held with the financial support of JFKHS parents and friends. Help the PTSA keep our students safe after the prom - help plan or make a donation! For more information about how to get involved, contact Ranell Lewis.
PTSA Meeting Minutes Archive
If you have questions or concerns, please feel free to contact the JFK NAACP Rep, Anestine LaFond.
Why Join the PTSA?
What is PTA? Why join PTA? The number one reason to join the Parent Teacher Student Association is to benefit your child. In doing so, you also help your school. But there are many more PTSA advantages:
- Get Connected. There’s no better way to know what’s happening in your school.
- Discover Great Resources. The PTA offers a variety of programs designed for parents as well as students.
- Tap into a Network. PTA functions are opportunities to meet other parents and teachers, building rapport and discussing issues that are on your mind. You can share ideas, concerns, and experiences.
- Watch Yourself Grow. By volunteering with your PTA, you put your skills and hobbies to use for a noble cause—your child and all children in the community.
- Speak Up. PTA can be a way for you to more effectively suggest change at your child’s school.
- Witness Improvement. By getting involved at your child’s school you’ll be part of the solution, helping make positive changes. Local PTAs play an important role by supporting building improvements through advocacy and play an important role in fundraising for curriculum based programs and social events.
- Be a Role Model. By becoming a PTA member, you’ll be demonstrating to your child the importance you place on education.
- Enjoy Substantial Benefits. Individuals and local units can take advantage of a host of benefits from PTA membership including discounts and offers from member benefits providers and sponsors, magazine subscriptions, leadership training, e-newsletters and much more.
Additional PTA Organizations