Counseling Services Department
Phone: (301) 650-6460
Office Hours: 7:30 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
The Counseling Program at Takoma Park Middle School focuses on the rapidly changing needs of adolescents. These changing needs unfold in every aspect of a youth’s life and range from the emotional to the physical as well as from the personal to the social. As students in Grades 6-8 struggle for an identity, counselors help them to balance these needs with those associated with the school setting.
Counseling Office Personnel
Personal and Social Development
- Help students discover their strengths and weaknesses in relation to school performances.
- Help students use their problem-solving and conflict resolution techniques.
- Help with conflict management and interpersonal relationships.
- Help students become their own advocates.
- Identify programs available to students and the requirements for participation in these programs.
- Help students adjust to the school and plan their programs.
- Help students with time-management.
- Consult with teachers on ways to improve student academic achievement.
Career and Educational Decision-Making
- Develop a 4-year plan for high school.
- Review graduation requirements.
- Assess student aptitudes & interests and explore career options.
- Reinforce problem-solving and decision-making skills.
1st Annual School Psychologist Mental Health Fair Monday November 13, 2017 from 5:00 - 7:00
- click above to access Naviance link
Information about High School Choice Process for 8th Graders
2017 DCC Presentation
Handout Notes from DCC (2017)
Homework Resources for Parents and Students
Homework Completion Contract
How to Set Up a Good Homework System at Home
My Homework Plan
Time Management Sheet
What We Can Do to Help Our Adolescents Learn
Resources for Parents
Mental Health Resources - Includes addresses and numbers for the following: Crisis Center, Behavioral Health Assessments, Area Hotlines, Self-Help and Support Groups, Non-Profit Professional Mental Health Services, Youth Services Center, and Hospitals
Welcome to Abrams & Associates Inc: Center for Family Psychotherapy
Social Skills Group
Parenting with Confidence for Mothers
Body Image - Dove Videos
Health and Wellness:
* Meeting at the Seekers Church (across from the Takoma Metro Station), 276 Carroll Street, Northwest Washington, DC 20012
Sundays 6:30 - 7:30. (all but the first Sunday of the month)