Poolesville PRIDE Committee sponsored a Cyber-Safety Information Night with a representative from the State's Attorney's Office. The presentation is posted on the MCPS website. MCPS Cybersafety
Help Your Middle-Schooler Succeed
- Review your child's planner daily and check ed-line.
- Don't hesitate to remind your child about due dates.
- Plan ahead. Put projects that are due on the calendar.
- Be willing to listen.
- Ask specific questions about your child's day.
The Red Flags of Teenage Depression
- Deep sadness and/or hopelessness
- Long-lasting irritability, anger, and/or rage
- Dramatic changes in behavior, personality and/or appearance
- Withdrawal from friends, family, and/or activities
- Major changes in sleeping/eating habits
- Marked change in energy, motivation and/or concentration
- Frequent absences from school or a significant drop in grades
- Increased physical complaints such as headaches and stomachaches
- Alcohol and/or drug use
- Thoughts and/or talk of death and suicide
Red Flags of Teenage Depression is taught as a unit in 8th grade Health classes.
Kids Asked About Stress In Recent Poll; Results Now Available Online
No one likes to see kids upset or stressed. To better understand how kids handle stress and how parents can help, a recent KidsHealth KidsPoll asked 875 children ages 9 to 13 from across the country how they handle stress. The top reasons kids feel stressed? Grades, school, homework, family and friends or peers. The most frequently used coping skills? Distractions such as playing, listening to music and watching TV. An alarming number of kids -- 25 percent -- admitted to having hurt themselves on purpose when stressed. For complete survey findings and methodology or to learn more about healthy ways to help kids cope, visit http://nahec.org/KidsPoll.
Programs, Workshops, Seminars and Support Groups
Review these workshops and seminars to identify sessions being held at a location convenient for you that address concerns, challenges, issues or topics of interest to your student and family.
YMCA Youth & Family Services Parenting Schedule
YMCA Youth & Family Services Parenting Schedule-Spanish
NACAC College Fair Press Release
NACAC College Fair Flyer
InfoMontgomery--Great resource for parenting classes, counseling supports trainings, and so much more. Check it out today.