Burning Tree Elementary School opened in 1958 with eight classrooms. In the fall of 1977, Fernwood Elementary and Whittier Woods Elementary were closed and consolidated with Burning Tree. The building was modernized in 1991 and relocatables were added so that the school now houses twenty-eight classrooms situated on a wooded 6.8 acre site. A gymnasium addition was completed tin the summer of 2007.