A high-quality education is the fundamental right of every child at Beall Elementary School. Staff, children, parents and the community will form a multi-cultural learning environment which provides all students with the knowledge, skills and attitudes that will empower them to be successful, contributing citizens of the world.
In 1950, the Montgomery County Board of
Education recommended building another elementary school in the
western section of Rockville to relieve overcrowding in Rockville,
Potomac, and Gaithersburg. A site in the Hunting Hill area was
selected and in 1953, construction began. The new school opened in
August 1954 with Albert Gibson as the principal. Most faulty members
and all the school children from grades K through 5 from the old
Rockville/Park Street Elementary School were shifted to this school.
The school opened with 25 teachers, 767 students, and 20 classrooms
according to the Montgomery Sentinel, when the school
opened, it didn't have a name.
The students voted to name the school West
Rockville Elementary School. The school was officially named West
Rockville Elementary on May 23, 1955. In June 1982, the Board of
Education passed a resolution to rename the school Beall (pronounced
"bell") Elementary after the Beall family. The name as changed in
conjunction with the closure of Hungerford Park Elementary School
(Park Street closed before Hungerford and Hungerford was renamed
Hungerford Park), because school administrators wanted the school to
feel new to everyone.
School at a Glance Report