About Mrs. Solazzo
When I am not at work I enjoy spending time with my husband and children doing outside activities and going to the beach.
Counseling Program at Wood Acres:
One-on-one counseling support is available to all students K-5. This support addresses specific concerns that a child might have that might be interfering with learning.
- Students are able to self-refer themselves to see the counselor when needed. There are notes outside of my door so students write their name and teacher’s name on a note, fold it and place it outside of my door in the red bucket.
- Parents can call or email if they would like to have a concern addressed.
- Teachers refer students as needed.
Small Group Counseling
Small group counseling provides support for K-5 students with similar academic, social or personal concerns. Some examples of small groups might include:
- Social Skills
- Calm Down(mindfulness/relaxation)
Classroom Counseling Lessons
Each class, kindergarten through fifth grade receives a regularly scheduled counseling lesson every month. Classes also have additional lessons as needed.
Some examples of topics covered in classroom counseling lessons include:
- WAVE values
- Making and keeping friends
- Bullying, teasing, put-downs
- Conflict resolution
- Expressing feelings appropriately
- Ways to appropriately deal with stress/anxiety
- Personal Body Safety Lessons
Wood Acres WAVE Values:
June: Review Wave Values
Moral Courage is emphasized the entire school year!
DeBug Strategies (K-2)
- Move away
- Give and “I Message”
- Get Adult Help
Win/Win Guidelines (3-5)
- Cool Down
- Give an "I Message"
- Brainstorm Solution
- Affirm, forgive and/or thank
Each week students are able to write a Kindness Shout-out to another student who has was observed doing an act of kindness and put it in a bucket in their classroom. Students deliver the Kindness Shout-outs to the counseling office on Thursdays. On Fridays, a handful of Shout-outs are read over the announcements.
Each morning, a mindful moment is read on the announcements. Students in all classes observe the mindful moment. Teachers do another mindful moment during the school day, typically after recess.
- Each class has a peace day reflection at end of day.
- If criteria is met for a Peace Day, classes earn peace day rewards (20, 40, 60, 80, 100, 120, 140, 160, 180 days).
- If whole school earns a pace day, the whole school earns rewards for 25, 50, 75, and 100 days of peace.
Peace Day Criteria for students
1. Did you try to solve your problems today using DeBug, Win/Win, or No-Put Down Strategies?
2. Did you do something kind or give someone a put-up?
3. If you were unable to solve a problem today on your own, did you ask for help from an adult?